Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > fat/obese/overweight    

fat/obese/overweight

marie.marron
Spain

fat/obese/overweight

Hello everybody! I �m making a worksheet about physical description, and I have a couple of doubts. Is there a difference between chubby and plump? And between fat, obese and overweight? I would put obese and overweight as synonyms, but I �m not sure!

Thanks for your help!

Marie

4 Feb 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

fat is rude
obese is formal or medical
overweight is more colloquial I guess, plus there can be a gradation to it like in: slightly/a few pounds overweight
Sophia

4 Feb 2012     

epit
Turkey

Is it skinny<slim<thin<chubby< plump< fat< overweight <obese or different ? Thanks

4 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I don �t think you can put them all in one line, bc as I said, you can �t teach your ss to describe someone as fat (especially to someone �s face) as it �s rude. If you take slim and thin which both have the same meaning but are used differently: slim is thin in an attractive way, whereas thin is oftentimes disapproving.
Sophia

4 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Is it skinny<slim<thin<chubby< plump< fat< overweight <obese or different ?

Some of these words mean almost the same thing, but some are more polite than others.
We are careful which words we use if we don �t want to hurt someone �s feelings, or say something bad about someone else. Some people are very sensitive about their weight.
But you have the words more or less in order, maybe I �d put thin before slim.

4 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

ueslteacher is right about slim and thin. I haven �t heard the word �plump � for ages. Maybe you could use it to describe a baby. I was watching a TV programme the other night, which was set in the seventies and there was quite a well rounded young woman in it and the policeman described her as �well nourished. � What a euphemism is that!!!

4 Feb 2012     

epit
Turkey

Hi again ,I don �t want to be misundertood. I know Children are very sensetive about their kilos .When I teach adjectives , I avoid being rude and give examples from  animal illustration  cause fatness make some animals so cute .But sometimes we need to know the differences between words.Hugs

4 Feb 2012