Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > First day with ´grown ups ´    

First day with ´grown ups ´

yetigumboots
Germany

First day with ´grown ups ´

Hi Everyone I hope you are all fine.
Can anyone give me a quick crash course in teaching adults. It is a bit difficult for me as I am so used to teaching kids and now I have to start a course with adults. They are beginners but still I have a bit of a funny feeling about it all. Any tips for the first day would be great.

Thanks in advance x Yeti x

4 Feb 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Maybe you ´ll find some of these tips helpful:

Sophia

4 Feb 2012     

languaria
Germany

Dear Jeanette,

check your pm, please.

Hugs, Petra

4 Feb 2012     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hello!
          While I love teaching adults!, I don ´t think I can ´t give you a quick crash course in teaching adults but some tips that work for me :)

Unlike most teenagers, adults are eager to learn. I use about the same oral and written activities I do with teenagers but sometimes I make some changes. We work the speaking part quite a lot with pictures, flashcards, role play, because most grown ups are studying English for their current job or a future one, so expressing themselves in English, communicating with their classmates or with their teacher in English is very motivating for them. Even with beginners, on the first class, I usually give them a worksheet with useful phrases in English for them to use in class as much as they can and they do!

And last but not least, even though they are adults, they love games! We ´ve played tic tac toe, double or quit, snap, etc and songs! always related to what they are studying. Last year I had a group of adults that if a week went by without a song...they would go ...teacher... and the song???? They loved it!

Another suggestion would be to place yourself as a student, sometimes I think ok... if I were learning a language, what type of class, what topics, what type of exercises I would like? Since we are also adults, what works for us, it would often work for them too :)

Have fun

Regards :)

Jorgelina

5 Feb 2012     

yetigumboots
Germany

Thank you all for your comments. You have been a great help.I hope you are all still around when I have questions.Embarrassed

Hugs Yeti xxx

5 Feb 2012