Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > grammar question- help!    

grammar question- help!

caro21sch
Argentina

grammar question- help!

Hello colleagues. I need help with two sentences. I �m in doubt about the agreement between the subject and verb because they are rather long.

1) The ability to recognize the unethical accusations proves that those feelings exist within the ones who accuse.

2)each school district will acknowledge that expose to and participation in arts strengthens a child�s academic development and growth as an individual, prepares the child to feel a part and makes a positive contribution to the community, ensures a creative and competitive workforce to meet the economic opportunities in the present and the future.

I think that the highlighted verbs shoud not take "s" because of expose to and participation in. Thanks in advance!

8 Feb 2012      

yanogator
United States

In the first sentence, the subject is "ability", so "proves" is correct.

In the second, it should be "exposure to", not "expose to". As for agreement, it is a difficult question. Technically, it is a compound subject (exposure and participation), so it needs a plural verb (without the s). However, it is also correct to interpret the exposure and participation as a single action, taking a singular verb (with the s). I think it sounds more natural with the s on each verb.

Bruce

8 Feb 2012     

caro21sch
Argentina

Thanks Bruce! I agree with you, definitely

8 Feb 2012     

caro21sch
Argentina

Thanks Bruce! I agree with you, definitely

8 Feb 2012