Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A skirt related question to native speakers    

A skirt related question to native speakers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The second link didn �t work for me.
And Lynne, please don�t take my questions personally, people here wear flags sometimes regardless of the country of their origin. And it�s not like we�ve met before;)
Sophia

16 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

OK

16 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sophia

16 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Sophia

I recommend you just call it a flouncy skirt with shoulder straps, teamed with a nice top. i.e. the skirt has flounces.  You need to say what is worn with it otherwise people will assume the person is �topless � i.e. naked from the waist up.

Cunliffe is right - suspenders in British English is entirely different to that in American English and it is probably best to not use it.  In BE suspenders today imply sexiness.  Women wear stockings with suspenders to be sexy.  In the past they were worn with stockings because pantyhose had not been invented.

If you said she is wearing a flouncy skirt with suspenders some people would immediatley associate this image with sex because of the choice of words.  So stick with �a flouncy skirt with shoulder straps, teamed with a nice top �.

Cheers

Jayho

17 Feb 2012     

< Previous   1    2