Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Do we really need teachers??    

Do we really need teachers??

Benitto
Netherlands

Do we really need teachers??

Hi.
I,m going give a lecture about this topic next week for my colleagues so PLEASE help and have your say.
The questions are:
1. What is the importance of teachers in the 21st century. With all these high quality softwares and internet sites, is there a real need for teachers?why or why not.
2. What qualities should  teachers have (or they already have) to make them survive in spite of technology?(e.g. The internet is a better source of knowledge!)
Pleaseeeeeee help me with any comments or articles or anything. thanks

17 Feb 2012      

sirhaj
Malaysia

First question

1. teachers can interact with students through communication that involve accommodation & understanding of students � feeling, thinking, behavior, interest and personalities of the students that vary among each individual, highly influential on how they respond and react, and reveal some valuable information about them that can serve as feedback to teachers. Technology so far cannot perform this.
2. Teachers can cater to different need of the students in terms of their learning
3. Teachers can be flexible in teaching that fit the students, the environment, the teaching materials, the subject matter and a lot more.

Second question

1. Teachers can understand feeling, thinking and behavior of the students through common sense, experience, and practical knowledge.

I hope this helps.

Regard,
Sirhajwan

17 Feb 2012     

douglas
United States

1. First, I agree with Sirhaj on this.  Secondly, it takes a teacher to write/develop the "high quality software and internet sites".  Lastly, teachers are capable of making sense out of information overload, directing students to the proper information sources, as well as  detecting and clarifying misunderstandings.

2. The ability to filter an over-abundance of information and to tailor it to the individual. And probably the most important skill is the ability to provide examples and explanations that draw pictures in students minds that help them to grasp and remember the material.  Presentation skills, empathy, and an understanding of modern trends are also necessary.

Douglas  

17 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Benitto,

1)
A. A Teacher is "personal" to the student and can form a personal relationship, with friendship, trust, laughter, and life.
B. A Computer is impersonal, and cannot form a "personal" relationship.

A. A Teacher can personally motivate a student.
B. A Computer cannot.

A. A Teacher can personally encourage a student, rejoicing in success, and supporting in difficult times, in a genuine manner.
B. A Computer cannot.

A. A Teacher automatically revises, amends, and updates information on a daily basis.
B. A Computer must be regularly reprogrammed.

A. A Teacher can often go directly to a salient point.
B. A Computer frequently needs many, different, laborious steps before it arrives at an answer.

A. A Teacher saves time by directly addressing a point.
B. A Computer often wastes much time searching for the exact information.

A. A Teacher generally uses one Text Book, Worksheet, etc. containing relevant information. 
B. Different Internet sites repeat the same information, wasting time, or give conflicting information, causing doubt.

A. A Teacher analyses the student �s badly-worded question, ascertains its correct form, reforms it if necessary, and then gives the student the answer.
B. A Computer needs a query which is precise in every detail, otherwise it goes round in circles and gives numerous useless answers.

2)
A. A Teacher has many qualities, (which vary from person to person).  These include education, knowledge, memory, experience, patience, humour, savoir-faire, and mental and practical ability.  This constitutes the "person".  These are living qualities which increase, grow, and improve day-by-day.
B. A Computer has several qualities, (which differ only slightly from computer to computer). These include, speed, memory, processor, complexity, display. This constitutes the "programme". These are not living qualities, and (generally speaking), do not alter, but are fixed for a long period, (often by the Teacher).
A. Because the Teacher is a "person", an answer tailored for a particular student is drawn from a wide variety of ever-improving knowledge held by that Teacher.  With a good Teacher, the answer is often accurate, informative, relevant, useful, and up-to-date, (matched to the needs of that student).
B. Because the Computer is a "programme", an answer given to a student is drawn from the information contained in that programme held by that Computer.  Even with a good Computer, the answer is possibly accurate or not, possibly informative or not, possibly relevant or not, possibly useful or not, and possibly up-to-date or not, (depending on the needs of that student).

A. To interact with a Teacher, a student needs only Basic Listening Skills, and Basic Speaking Skills.
B. To interact with a Computer, a student needs Advanced Reading Skills, Advanced Writing Skills, (sometimes Advanced Listening Skills, sometimes Advanced Speaking Skills), and Advanced Computer Skills.

I hope that this helps you.

Wat jammer dat ik kan niet meer voor u schrijven.

Les

P.S.
A. As an absolute minimum, a Teacher can teach anywhere, any time, using only her or his voice.
B. As an absolute minimum, a Computer can teach anywhere, any time, using only a Central Processing Unit, a Keyboard, a Visual Display Unit, a Teaching Programme, and an Electricity Power Station connected to a National Electricity Grid supplying uninterrupted Electricity to a Nation; OR an Electricity Generator and an unlimited supply of Fuel; OR a Millionaire who owns a Factory which produces Electric Batteries for Computers.  

17 Feb 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Can you imagine a computer that can substitute Les?
Yolanda

17 Feb 2012     

kmochniak
Poland

Les,

You �re just sooo beyond wonderful!!! Much much much better!

Take care,

Kasia

17 Feb 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Yolanda: I, for one, can say: no, I can �t:)
Dear Les, you have a point or should I say lots of them actually:)
Sophia

17 Feb 2012