Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > Two clocks reported as not being resources    

Two clocks reported as not being resources

foose1
United States

Two clocks reported as not being resources

I don �t understand why my clocks are not resources for kids.  If I drew a clock with an hour and a minute hand on a white board and asked the kids, "what time is it," they would answer right? If I can change the minute hand or the hour hand using power point, wouldn �t it be the same as if I drew it on the board? What if I provided a worksheet, with various times on it and asked the kids to write the time down? I am totally lost.  I  spent a lot time on the clocks and use them in my classes.  I was going to sell them but decided against it because I thought I would help other teachers around the world.  Isn �t it just as fast to quickly change the time using power point then to draw it on a whiteboard.  The new clock I made may be fully functional with an alarm but the time can be changed at any time without an impact to the alarm.

John

19 Feb 2012      

Apodo
Australia

I didn �t see your clocks resource, so I �m not sure why they were reported. But this site is for ESL resources, with emphasis on ESL.
Perhaps if you added some written exercises in English, a dialogue so kids can practise speaking, or something about daily routines.
Add some useful phrases such as �What time do you...? �, �When is his appointment? � �What time is the alarm set for? �

Then it would be considered an ESL resource.

19 Feb 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Like Apodo, I didn �t see your clocks. However, I did report a worksheet on "tenthes" [sic], a lesson on fractions/decimals because it didn �t contain a single word of English. It was all numbers and pictures. If the writer had simply added "one tenth," etc., I �d have let it go. Is that what happened with your clocks?

19 Feb 2012     

juliag
Japan

Hi John,

Well, I �ve just visited the reporting page and it looks like lots of people are voting against removal so obviously several teachers here agree with your definition of an ESL resource. To me it seems apparent that they can be used in speaking activities around the theme of time, but in the future you might want to write suggestions for use either within the document on a slide at the back or in the description to avoid this kind of thing happening again.

Good luck!
Julia

19 Feb 2012     

foose1
United States

The clocks have hours, minutes and whatever that a teacher clicks to change the time.  My first clock was never reported and I noticed today that someone else posted a clock similiar in operation to mine (only one way to do it) and theirs were never reported.  I just thought that my newer version that includes a timer and could be used as a functional clock would be even more useful.  Especially, with the mouse, rabbit and the turtle turning the gears.  I was just overjoyed to find out that nobody on the internet has come up with a functional clock in powerpoint without using VBA or a plug in.  I am the first and just thought, I would share the many hours spent on it.  Like my other clock, I am sure someone from this site will use the same sequence (only one way to do it) and come up with a funnier clock that would be appeasing to the teachers on this site.

John

19 Feb 2012     

foose1
United States

Thanks Julia for the suggestion. I will do that next time and I am sure that Victor will make it a requirement in the future by changing the rules.

John

19 Feb 2012     

BLUESWAN
France

I like all of your power points. They are really very useful, but I didn �t see the one you �re talking about. I � m sure it was as good as the previous ones and perhaps better!Could you reupload it again?  Read from you soon!

19 Feb 2012     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I am sorry, John, but without any activity added it �s only a great clipart. There were other plain clocks removed after the rules changed and I believe yours should be removed too. As written above you should add some exercises to make it an esl-resource.

Michaela

19 Feb 2012     

foose1
United States

It is not a clipart.  You click on the buttons to change the time, to start the clock moving and to start the timer.  It has animations and sound.  Try it.

19 Feb 2012     

karina7777
Denmark

foose1, I have used your clock pp and several other of your amazing powerpoints as well - they are a great resource and my pupils LOVE the moving clock!
They should certainly not be removed - and I encourage everyone to have a look at foose1 �s collection of powerpoints. They are inspirational!

19 Feb 2012     

karina7777
Denmark

Dear MJ Misa, his clocks ARE indeed a teacher �s resource - and so much more useful than several other uploads I �ve seen with exercises. It is NOT a clip-art, it �s interactive and has required a lot of work.
Any teacher could easily use it in his or her lessons without any exercises added - you simply activate it and ask students "What �s the time?" etc...
: ) Karina

19 Feb 2012     

1    2    Next >