Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > IDEAS NEEDED - PLEASE    

IDEAS NEEDED - PLEASE

anitarobi
Croatia

IDEAS NEEDED - PLEASE

Dear colleagues,
it �s not often that I ask for help, and unfortunately I �ve been spending very little time here lately, but who better to turn to for ideas than this melting pot of cultures and ideas, still all revolving around a common interest - the English language?

I �m working on a new play for my teenage group and I need ideas - names of famous people throughout the history of the English language (till today) who are either responsible for its popularity and development or think themselves so (if you know what I mean). The play is going to have a fun approach to the topic, but I want it to teach my students (and their parents) some culture as well. You know, people like Shakespeare, Rowling, but not only writers, and not necessarily from English speaking countries (even been thinking of Schwarzenegger with his awful pronunciation - thinking he �s to be thanked for inspiring people to improve their pronunciation;), or even Zuckerberg for developing a whole new online English lingo)...

I hope you �ll have ideas on who to include. Out-of-the-box suggestions are most welcome. Pls, help...

Thanks a bunch!
Anita

19 Feb 2012      

almaz
United Kingdom

Heroes and villains of the English language (make your own mind up which is which):

Chaucer, Caxton, Dunbar... John Dryden, Swift, Samuel Johnson, Robert Burns, Joseph Priestley, Noah Webster, Lindlay Murray, James Murray, GB Shaw, HW Fowler, Philip Gove, Geoff Pullum, Strunk and White, Steven Pinker, David Crystal, Mark Liberman.....

19 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Anita,

You will have heard of Charles K. Ogden, who, in 1930, proposed a list of 850 Basic English Words, with which a Speaker/Writer could communicate in English fluently, on any subject.

http://ogden.basic-english.org/

http://www.Manythings.org/vocabulary/lists/l/words.php?f=ogden

You could use this list to prepare a short script for a play.

However, what is not generally known is that, exactly 100 years previously, (in 1857 to be precise), another EnglishMan, Alfred Arthur Bett, invented a form of the English Language consisting of only the 26 alphabet letters, plus numbers.  To demonstrate how easy it was to learn this language, he wrote a short stage play, utilising only this abbreviated script, �The Alf A Bett Language�.

My Grandmother obtained the last remaining copy and she has lent me it.  Here it is.

SCENE: A European restaurant.  A moustached Man, a Customer, of unknown nationality, enters the restaurant and is greeted by a Waitress.

Everyone speaks VERY slowly and VERY deliberately in �The Alf A Bett Language�.

As each person speaks, a Stagehand displays a card with the appropriate script, showing only the alphabet letters, "L.O", for example, (or, the letters are projected onto an Interactive Whiteboard screen). 

Man L.O.                                                        Hello.

Waitress L.O.                                                Hello.

Man R.U.B.C?                                                Are you busy?

Waitress S,V.R.B.C.                                     Yes, we are busy.

Man F.U.N.E.T?                                            Have you any tea?

Waitress S,  V.F.T.                         `             Yes, we have tea.

Man N.X?                                                       And eggs?

Waitress S.V.F.X.  V.F.2 N�s!                     Yes, we have eggs.  We have 2 hens!

Man O. I. C.  F.U M.N.X?                            Oh!  I see. Have you ham and eggs?

Waitress 9.  V.F.N.10.E.M.                        Nein. We haven�t any ham.

Man (thoughtfully) R.                                Ah!

Waitress V.F.P�s!                                         We have peas!

Man O.K.  X. N. P�s N. T. 4. 1.                   OK.  Eggs and peas and tea for one.

Waitress O.O.   V.F.N.10. E. P�s.              Oh, Oh!  We haven�t any peas.

Man. Y? U.Z.U.F. P�s.                                  Why?  You said you have peas.

A Waiter enters.

Waiter V.F.N 10.E.P�s.                                We haven�t any peas!

Man Y?                                                            Why?

Waiter I.F.E.10.M.                                       I have eaten them.

Man U.8.M.                                                   You ate them!

Waiter S. B.4.                                                Yes! Before!                                   

Man O! U.                                                      Oh! You! (Exits, furious!)

Waitress O.G.                                               Oh! Gee!

Waiter O.L!                                                    Oh! Hell!

With grateful thanks to �The Two Ronnies�, whose script I plagiarised and altered.

Les

19 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

When I was a child, my father taught me the following:

A B C D Puppies?
L M N O Puppies?
O S M R Puppies
C M P N?

Hey, Bea, see the puppies?
Hell, them ain �t no puppies?
Oh, yes them are puppies.
See them peein �?

Bruce

19 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Like it, Bruce (sure y�all ain�t Scots-Irish?).

19 Feb 2012     

Mariethe House
France

have a look at this,dear Anita.     it might help,although I am not sure whether they will fit in your "play project" Good luckSmile

http://busyteacher.org/search.html?q=classroom_activities-vocabulary%2Fcelebritiesbiographies-worksheets%2Fpage%2F2%2F

20 Feb 2012     

juliag
Japan

Hi there Anita,
Hope you �re well.

Not sure if these are the kind of people you are thinking of, but off the top of my head people who could be fun to integrate are Roald Dahl, Edward Lear and his limericks and the Queen �s pronunciation and "Queen �s English." I also think Tim Berners-Lee the inventor of the Web is responsible for a lot of the popularity of the English language today. In the same way you could somehow include bands like The Beatles, Queen,  Bon Jovi etc. who have done a lot to encourage young people around the world to study English.

Well, maybe some of these ideas will be helpful and maybe they won �t.
Good luck and enjoy!
Hugs, Julia

20 Feb 2012     

douglas
United States

Marlon Brando as The Godfather
Jackie Gleason in The Honeymooners
Huckleberry Hound

20 Feb 2012     

anitarobi
Croatia

I love all ideas.... can �t wait for more. Thank you all for taking the time to do this.

20 Feb 2012     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hello there lady teacher,
How about Mel Gibson �s Scottish accent on �Braveheart �, did wonders for the popularity of....
Not quite sure what it did wonders for.

Or even better Dick Van Dyke �s cockney accent on �Mary Poppins �.... barrel of laughs that one.

But the Daddy of all bad accents has to be Greta Garbo �s first �talkie �, "Anna Christie". Advancements in language galore... not sure what language thoughLOL

Be well and don �t take me too seriously

20 Feb 2012