Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Should I?    

Should I?

sirhaj
Malaysia

Should I?

Hey Everybody,

This has nothing to do with teaching but I really need some advice from my fellow anonymous friends here.

I have published some short stories in American-based magazine/website ( SFC magazine, Bumples, Bedtime stories). I recently thought of writing a fantasy novel Somehow, the fact that I live in Malaysia, non-native speaker, economic decline, bunch of fantasy novels in the market always demotivate me but the passion for writing it only grows stronger. I am currently in Master program in order to pursue a better career in education research but I can �t get rid of the overwhelming passion that haunts me everyday, although I am busy doing my research and teaching in school, my thought is on the story ideas. I always want to pick up a pen and start writing the novel but I keep writing short stories only. I �m not fully satisfied with writing and publishing short fiction, I really want to go beyond that.

I understand that writing a novel take years and requires lots of works. Should I give it a try or should I just stick with writing short stories and pursue my education?

An aspiring amateur writer in dilemma,
Sirhaj

20 Feb 2012      

swissprof
Switzerland

Live your dream and don �t dream your life !

Yes, you should start a novel and maybe it won �t take years to write it if you have the ideas

Good luck, go for it !Clap

Nicole

20 Feb 2012     

douglas
United States

Go for it, work-on a novel, but keep writing short stories at the same time.

Douglas

(You will never forgive yourself if you don�t give it a try.)

20 Feb 2012     

mariec
Spain

I agree with Douglas.

Make your dream come true. I wish you all the luck in the world.

I�m already looking forward to reading your future novel !

20 Feb 2012     

primpi
United Kingdom

my dear friend .... never give up on making your dreams come  true  .... it may well cost you a lot of sacrifice in time that you could rest or relax but i know from experience that the nost precious things in life have a sacrifice to pay  be it raising a family to writing a novel ... so go  ahead write your novel , follow that dream don �t turn it into a nightmare my friend.... and let me know when you finish your novel i want to read it  ....

20 Feb 2012     

primpi
United Kingdom

my dear friend .... never give up on making your dreams come  true  .... it may well cost you a lot of sacrifice in time that you could rest or relax but i know from experience that the nost precious things in life have a sacrifice to pay  be it raising a family to writing a novel ... so go  ahead write your novel , follow that dream don �t turn it into a nightmare my friend.... and let me know when you finish your novel i want to read it  ....

20 Feb 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Go for it Sirhaj and let us know when it is publishedSmile
Of course you must try and don �t get discouraged. keep writing. Could be a good idea to have a blog where you publish some passages and we can all read it and tell you what we think and keep encouraging you through the progression of your work!

20 Feb 2012     

maryse pey�
France

Never reflect in such a case !

Share your ideas !

Express your talent and feel happiness and satisfaction of daring be yourself !

20 Feb 2012     

anaisabel001
Spain

Go for it Sirhaj! Let us know when it �s finished!Hug

20 Feb 2012     

anitarobi
Croatia

If it haunts you, it will keep on doing so! Just go for it! Do both!

20 Feb 2012