Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching word formation to teens (14-17)    

Teaching word formation to teens (14-17)

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Teaching word formation to teens (14-17)

Hello everybody!

I would like to ask you for suggestions to teach word formation to my teens students.
During their elementary level I usually teach them opposites, like small/big and so on...
However, when they reach a higher level of English it �s necessary to introduce them Suffixes and prefixes.

My question is: Should I introduce them gradually words like happy vs unhappy and give examples of words using the same formation?

Is it advisable to teach in the same class more than one prefix?

I have posted these questions on the forum because this year I have a group of sudents whose English is not that good :((

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance. 

20 Feb 2012      

spinney
United Kingdom

Hi!

Here �s a worksheet of mine that I use for small groups as a kind of quiz:

Don �t know if it �s any good for what you want. I think messing around with the prefixes and trying to catch them out sets a challenge. If they are very slow then perhaps you �ll need to slow right down and teach "il-" for words starting with "L." And then perhaps "un" or "dis" ect. To tell the truth I find they tend to pick these things up anyway but prefixes do trip them up and now we have the added problem of words like "unlike" (verb - as opposed to dislike) thanks to Facebook. It �s a tricky one. I might have to have a think on that one myself!Confused

20 Feb 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi Spinney!

Thanks so much for your help.

20 Feb 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I usually teach them the most common prefixes with the words they will probably use in their conversations or writings and let them study them for 10-15 minutes and then, we play a game of memory. They like it and they normally remember the words because they are repeated many times.
Hope it helps
Yolanda

20 Feb 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Thanks Yolanda for the suggestion!

20 Feb 2012     

joy2bill
Australia

I play a game based on what we used to call "happy families �. Students have to collect four cards from the same family eg
excite                                 sell
excitement                          sold
exciting                               sale                           
excited                                seller

It�s played in groups of 4 with each student starting with 5-7 cards. They can ask anyone for a card but they must have one of the family in their hand. If no one has the card asked for the person must �fish� from the central pile. If they play smart they can �steal � from other players by noting what they ask for. The winner is the person with the most families.
Cheers Joy

21 Feb 2012