Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A bad day    

A bad day

silvia.patti
Italy

A bad day

Today I had a very bad day: I was scolded by my headmistress because of one of my classes. My older students have a bad behaviour during my lessons, above all on Saturday (we have lesson at 12 o �clock); they said to the headmistress I can �t control them but they didn �t say they chat or go around the classroom without an important reason. They said that I can �t and don �t explain the lesson, that my tests aren �t about what they studied (they rarely study) and so on. I explained to the headmistress that I would like to speak with their parents but nobody comes and speaks to me; that my tests are about the grammar point but the topic can be different because I use another book to find a suitable text. Moreover I said that I will try to use songs on Saturdays to do a lesson, but she replied that we have to follow our text book, because the other classes have already done 2 units more than us. The fact is that every year I change students, so it �s very difficult to have a good relationship with each class; they have had two different teachers in the last two years and perhaps my colleagues were less strict than me. I think that their bad behaviour depends also on their families: if parents worried more for their children, probably they could have a better behaviour. Next Saturday my headmistrss will probably come into my class to observe... but what do you think my students will behave? They will be perfect, so I will be the only guilty... I �m so depressed!
I �m sorry for my outlet but I wanted to speak with someone... Thanks for your time. Silvia

21 Feb 2012      

sirhaj
Malaysia

Dear Silvia,

I think I understood your situation, I had tough time teaching my class as they were quite "troublesome" like what you said chatting and going around the class. I felt so depressed and I didn �t know what to do. The students never told the principal but I did, and the principal kindly gave me advice and other teachers who were more senior than me approached me and gave me words of comfort and advice on how to deal with the students, the principal came to my class and observed me teaching as a result for that and gave me her feedback. I thought they were really helpful but my depression had taken the best of me. I hope I can help you but up until now, I still feel like what you feel ( I think I �m more messed up than you). Being a teacher is a stressful work and if I knew it was this stressful, I wouldn �t be taking education for my undergraduate study. So far, I only manage to comfort my self by talking to my family and friends.

A teacher in depression,
Sirhajwan

21 Feb 2012     

a isabel
Portugal

Hi Silvia!

I think we all understand that you had to "talk" about such an unpleasant situation you have been through.  Some headmasters/mistresses are ready to criticize  our work without sometimes knowing what it is like to have classes like yours.   We all know that pupils are worse at certain occasions (end of morning/afternoon). In Portugal many parents don �t bother about going once to school to be informed about their kids � results and by the end of the year they say they didn � t know that the situation was so difficult....  I don �t understand the fact that your headmistress doesn �t want a song for next Saturday, because everybody knows that it �s much easier to use  music in our classes.  I hope that in the meantime some of our experts  will give you some useful pieces of advice and/or that until Saturday you will find a solution !  If I cand be of any other help, please feel free to write to me!
Hugs
AIsabel

21 Feb 2012     

maryse pey�
France

Dear Silvia,

Our work is not easy. We are to follow a program according to specific rules established by people who have not always the sense of the "practical teaching". Parents and students have greatly change. Our headmistress or headmaster has to listen to the students, the parents and the students. Some students are actually bad in their behavior...
I think our society is a source of ill-at-ease in too many occasions.
I can understand your state of mind.
But there is one thing I am certain of : Life gives us what we can deal with. Maybe you have, deep within you, some capacity you ignore. Just try to listen to your intuition, sometimes it may lead to miracles which are surprising and delicious pleasure.
As far as I am concerned I have lived so many situations I thought despaired... to find out that there was something much more better after.
I have been teaching for years now, from the very young students (sometimes less than 3-year old) to more than 63-year old students... I started with English and now I teach English, Italian, French and...
Never stop believing in your own capacities of invention, teaching and others.
Keep believing in the fact that you will be given the solution to your problem if you keep on listening to Life and its fair advice.
Bacini tantissimi cara.

Maryse. Marisa.

21 Feb 2012     

class centre
Belarus

may be they misbehave because they know very little and are bored? Try to give them simple but time consuming tasks. But - and that is very important - different tasks to different kinds of students.
In my experience it worked miracles with the worst hooligans ever.
Then - offer them a game - but a simple one! To involve all of them into the process. For example - to begin a word with the last letter of the previous one. Or the simpliest - name as many words in alphabetical order as you can!. Group them, let them talk freely among themselves. If you seriously begin the lesson but expose them your plan which includes a game or something new and unusual, they will be hooked. I usually say - I �ve prepared a game for you. But I am not sure whether we will have enough time to play it. The topic of the lesson is too serious.Or difficult. Or It will depend on your  behaviour...
I do know that it �s a big problem to make them listen and work. But they are just children. Anyway you will have to do something about their attitude.
Good luck! You will do it!
Natasha

21 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Silvia,

Your problem is one which many teachers have.

Some students think that school, college, or university is a place where they will be able to gain the admiration of their fellow-students.

Sometimes it is because of ability in sport; sometimes it is in attracting the opposite sex; sometimes it is in passing an examination.  These are all understandable hopes and wishes.

Others gain the admiration of their fellow-students by becoming leader of a recognised group; for example, the Leader of a House, or a Society, or a Club.

However, some students --- particularly some under-performing students, particularly some boys, particularly some older boys --- attempt to gain attention by becoming leader of a gang, possibly involved in drink, drugs, etc.

One of these gangs is �The Gang of Bullies�.

Their purpose in life is to make life a virtual Hell for their �victim�.

The �victim� is often the �Teacher�.

There is only one way to defeat Bullies.  Make a record of this disgraceful behaviour, so everyone in authority, and the Parents, know about it.

If I was in your position, I would, beginning tomorrow, always bring into the class a sheet of paper with a squared Grid.

Down the side would be the names of the known �Trouble-Makers� in the class.  (You can easily add a name or two).

Across the top would be the Misbehaviours --- �Talking in Class�;  �Walking Around in Class�; �Interrupting Teacher�; �Insulting Teacher�; �Not Working in Class�; �No Homework Done�; �Class Exercise Not Done�; �Shouting�; etc.  You know what the problems are.

I would write these �Rules� clearly on the board; ask the worst Trouble-Maker to read them for all the class to hear; ask each student if he/she understands the Rules;  and then Photograph the board as evidence, (in case a student �didn�t understand� what was being said).

From that moment on, every time there was a Violation of the Rules by, (for example), Student X, �Talking in Class�, (for example), put a tick, , in the �Talking in Class� column, against Student X�s name.

DO NOT TELL THE STUDENTS WHAT YOU ARE DOING --- DON�T ANSWER QUESTIONS.

If you do, they will go to the Head Teacher with more lies!

At the end of the Lesson/Break/Day, I would show the list to the Head Teacher and explain what I had done, naming the culprits and their misbehaviour, and saying that, for your own protection against the lies of the students, you intended to do this every day.  You also want the Head Teacher to include this information in a Letter, Reporting to the Parents the bad behaviour of their children.

At the next Lesson, I would tell the students why I was writing in the Grid, that I intended to keep a daily written record, and that, with the agreement of the Head, I would inform the parents.  If there was subsequent improvement in the behaviour, I would, of course, keep a record of that, too. 

I do not know the legal situation in your school, so a Word of Warning.

Obey the Rules of your school.

Treat all of your students with politeness and dignity.  They are not ALL Trouble-Makers.

DO NOT write, say, or do anything, which infringes the Human Rights of the students.  DO NOT disclose any material which reveals personal details about your students to any person or group not entitled to that information.

I hope that I have helped you slightly.

Les

21 Feb 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Les, I was going to write some advice for Silvia here, but you �ve said it all ... and perfectly . I agree with everything you �ve written, you �re absolutely right.
Silvia, if I were you, I �d follow some of the advice here, like Maryse �s :

But there is one thing I am certain of : Life gives us what we can deal with. Maybe you have, deep within you, some capacity you ignore. Just try to listen to your intuition, sometimes it may lead to miracles which are surprising and delicious pleasure.

Also, I �d give Les � idea a try, I �d fill in a grid in my next class. 
Or, I �d ask the headmistress to come watch a class without the sts knowing. I did that once, the headmistress stood by the classroom door without being seen, and she listened to everything that happened in the class, for 10 minutes (she had been in class once before, but they behaved like saints...) Not only did she congratulate me on my work but she also suspended the students for 2 days for misbehaviour (she even asked me how I had put up with such a group for almost 3 months ! ) After the sts came back, it was a pleasure to teach them, we even developed a good relationship once they understood the purpose of them being there ... and that I cared about them and my work.

I hope you can solve this problem, but be strong, it �s just "occupational hazards" ... :-)
Take it easy and you �ll see it �ll be a bad memory soon and one you learnt from ! 
Buona fortuna ... Baci 

21 Feb 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Thanks to Les (I think that I �ll start my grid to show it to students � parents when they will come and speak to me) and to Alicia (I thought to ask the headmistress to stand out the classroom and listen to my lesson, so it �s comfortable that you had the same idea).
Silvia

21 Feb 2012     

cheezels
New Zealand

I don �t have too much to add except to say keep hoping that it will get better. It is really awful when things like this happen, and if you are like me you worry and fret and dream about it, resulting in getting more stressed out and unhappy.

But that is what is great about this website! You know you can come here and you will have a whole community supporting you and offering the best advice that they can give.

But it definitely sounds like you are going to have to get really assertive with this group. Whatever you do, you need to follow through on any consequences for bad behaviour etc. Why can �t they decide the consequences for breaking classroom rules? I have found that often the students set much harder consequences than I ever would :-)

At the same time, you can address their concerns about the tests and why the topics are different. Sometimes when students are aware of why things are done they way they are they might be a little more understanding. (We can only hope!)

Another idea that I have used with difficult students is that I preselect a variety of SHORT topics/ units that pretty much focus on the same skills and they can choose which topic to do. I don �t do this with everything of course, but giving a little leeway on something can often result in getting a lot back. They get to feel a part of the decision process, they own it, rather than having every teacher TELL them they HAVE to learn this or that. :-)

I really hope that this situation settles down for you!
Hugs
Rochelle

21 Feb 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

Dear Silvia,

One or more of the links below may bring salvation.

This is useful, as well as these or even some of this (just don �t overdo it). 

Hope this helped improve your mood. Pig

22 Feb 2012