Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > workshops    

workshops

jarek2011
Poland

workshops

hello,

My school will be hosting 2 Americans in May and we would like them to run a series of workshops at the school. I want my American friends to run workshops for my students.  The students in question  are from 11 to 14 years old and they speak English at pre-intermediate/ intermediate level.  The workshops will take place during one-week time.

I wonder what kind of workshops my American friends can run with my students. I would like the workshops to be interesting so that my kids would be kept at the edge of their seat. Of course the workshops should be funny, entertaining and interactive. So far I am thinking of asking my American friends to

- teach students how to play American football (some basics)
- show multimedia presentations on my guests � hometowns
- talk about teenage American English
- discuss how to be American (give a taste of customs, traditions, values etc)

My question is: if you were to invite your American friends over to your school what workshops would you like them to run? Any ideas? I have some that I presented above but maybe you happen to have better ideas than mine.

23 Feb 2012      

olaola
Italy

I am starting an English course in my school and I �ll have a native American as teacher, we will prepare sketches related to every day life,  they �ll have to be very humourous and funny so as to catch the audience attention. The presence of a American native speaker will be very important to give a "real scent" to the performance.

23 Feb 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

I hope you are aware that not all Americans play or even watch football. I �m Canadian but I certainly could not teach hockey. I could teach you how to shovel however...

You could also ask them to talk about how they celebrate. Thanksgiving is really big in USA. Have them talk about the Fourth of July or Independance Day.

You can also ask them to talk about an American hero of theirs.

Best of luck!

23 Feb 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

We Americans are as individual as anyone else. (Some might even say individualistic.) Why not ask your American friends what they are interested in? American foods and customs are probably pretty safe, though. If your friends are from different parts of the USA, maybe they can talk about differences from state to state. Americans from Georgia are different from Americans from New Hampshire are different from Americans from Oregon, etc.

24 Feb 2012