Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Washbasin and sink ?    

Washbasin and sink ?

epit
Turkey

Washbasin and sink ?

Hi friends ,I think I got confused these two words .Washbasin is in the bathrooms but sink takes place in the kitchen.I know like this but is there any different thing that I couldn �t know .Thank you Have a nice friday night to everyone !

24 Feb 2012      

teresapr
Portugal

Hi, Epit, have a look at this!It will help:

A sink (also basin, hand basin and wash basin) is a bowl-shaped plumbing fixture used for washing hands, for dishwashing or other purposes.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sink

Teresa

24 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Epit,

Yes, you are right, if you are thinking of UK English.

Generally speaking, you find a �wash-basin� in the Bathroom; you find a �sink� in the Kitchen, but the word �sink� is being more widely applied to a variety of appliances.  A �wash-basin� usually has taps as part of the fitting.  A �sink� very often has separate taps.

Nowadays, both are made of a wide variety of materials, but, particularly in the past, a �wash-basin� was made of fine material, such as vitreous china, but a �sink� was made of coarse material, such as earthenware, because the servants used heavy, metal buckets.

However, in wealthy houses, kitchen sinks were often made of wood, (teak), to avoid breaking delicate bone china.

In public buildings, and particularly in hospitals, there are numerous types of �sink� --- Cleaner�s Sink; Bed-pan Sink; Chemical Sink; Operating-Theatre Sink; Fume-Cupboard Sink; etc.

Be careful not to confuse technical descriptions of appliances, as they appear in Building Documents.

A Kitchen Sink might be described as a Stainless Steel Sink (Left-Hand Bowl, Right-Hand Drainer).

The pan for a toilet is called a WC pan, or a Water Closet, (because the original was an Earth Closet).

The wash-basin for the Bathroom is called a Lavatory Basin, (from the Latin �lavare� = �to wash�).

END OF LECTURE

Les

24 Feb 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Basically, much the same as Les � explanations as far as �sink � is concerned, but can I just add the term �wash-hand basin �, meaning somewhere - not necessarily a bathroom or toilet - where you can wash your hands.

True story: some years ago, my local decided that the toilets were to go all modern integrated minimalist, motion-sensitive (if you �ll pardon the expression) and stainless steel-y. No problem in the ladies; different story in the gents �: the urinals and wash-hand basins were basically identical and almost at the same level - and no immediately discernible water outlet in either...

24 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

We use the terms Kitchen sink, Bathroom sink,  Hand basin - for those which are in the same room as the toilet, or elsewhere. Also Laundry sink or Laundry tub, for those big square sinks in the laundry.

25 Feb 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I once visited an expensive Hotel, (when smoking cigarettes was common-place).

I didn �t know it, but the Hotel had had big problems with men smoking, and then dropping their cigarette ends on the carpet.

The first that I knew was when I went into the Men �s Toilet, the Rest-Room, and saw two very big buckets on the floor, each marked: "Ash-Tray".

There was a big notice:

"PLEASE USE THE ASH-TRAYS !!!".

Les

25 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

@Les....that could lead to a misunderstanding. LOL

25 Feb 2012