Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with translation    

Help with translation

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Help with translation

Hello, dear friends.
My friend asked me to help her with the translation of the abstract  of her thesis. As it is difficult text concerning social issues I want to be sure it is all right. Could you, please, have a look at it and give me your opinion?

This thesis deals with the process of becoming independent and socialization of people with mental disabilities from the perspective of those, who raise them. The thesis focuses on two main objectives. The first one is to determine how the carers understand the phrase �getting independent� as a term, but also how they understand it in the context of specific individuals (with their wards). Under this objective there is a part of the text dealing with specific ideas about independence of their wards in the future. The second objective is to determine what socialization strategies were used in the training, how effective are the different strategies and their impact on stakeholders

Thank you very much and wish you all great weekend.
Michaela

25 Feb 2012      

mariec
Spain

The last sentence should read:   ... ... ... how effective the different strategies are ... ...

25 Feb 2012     

ambota
Portugal

That�s a nice work...

I would take away the comma on the first sentence "....of those who raise them."

Then, another suggestion, regards the choice of a word, thus, "Under this objective, there is a part of the research (erase "text") dealing with...

Hug
AMB

25 Feb 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, I agree that comma should go. Are you happy with �getting independent �? I think �becoming independent � reads better.

25 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

Unless it is a British thing that I don �t know about, you should replace "carers" with "caretakers" or "caregivers".

Bruce

25 Feb 2012     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Carers is perfectly correct and caretaker is a person who does maintenance in a building.

here are a couple of suggestions

This thesis deals with the process of becoming independent and socialization of people with mental disabilities from the perspective of those, who raise them. The thesis focuses on two main objectives. The first is to determine how carers understand the term �becoming independent�, but also their understanding in the context of specific individuals (with their wards). With these objectives in mind, part of the text deals with specific ideas about the independence of their wards in the future. The second objective is to determine what socialization strategies were used in the training, how effective the different strategies are and their impact on those involved.

25 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

Thanks for that information about "carers", Dawn. Just another difference between British and US English.

Bruce

25 Feb 2012     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Thank you all, including Jayho who sent me suggestions via PM. I am happy my translation isn �t so terrible and full of mistakes as I was afraid of. But I still have to work on my English.

You all are great, thanks. Thumbs Up

Take care, Michaela

25 Feb 2012