Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Make me fel better!!!    

Make me fel better!!!

manonski (f)
Canada

You have received great advice from members and I second everything they �ve told you.

Please believe in yourself and your students!

25 Feb 2012     

mariec
Spain

"I Have A Dream"

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I �ll cross the stream - I have a dream

I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while
Pushing through the darkness still another mile
I believe in angels
I believe in angels

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
I believe in angels

http://youtu.be/qFHbwikzNds
 I love this song, somehow it comes to my mind when I have  had a bad day.

I can�t add anything else as everybody has given you such great advice.   
If you do have teenagers, get them interested in your book.
Lots of luck,I�m sure you�ll get on fine, you�ve got so much to offer.

26 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Sirjaj

Alhough I have not taught that age group I can totally empathise on how challenging it can be just based on my experiences with teenage nieces and nephews - their behaviour alone was enough to keep me away from the secondary school system - lol.

Anyway, you are most definitley not alone - your thoughts are shared by zillions of teachers the world over and some express it here .

You have received quality supportive advice from your virtual colleagues and I �d like to add to this by recommending a free online classroom management mini-course.  I signed up to it a long time ago and learnt so much from it.  I am sure that you will too.  It is at http://www.behaviourneeds.com/blog/

As an aside, the author of this resource was out of action for a while due to a terrible incident.  He and his wife were maliciously attacked while sleeping by a guest in their home and both are lucky to be alive today.  We are most fortunate that Robert was able to return to his work and continue to support teachers world wide in the matters of classroom management.

Cheers, and �chin up �.

Jayho

26 Feb 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

People think that being a teacher has so many advantages that they forget that we have to face lots of problems with students every day. I am a little fed up with being a psychologist, a psichiatrist, a cleaner, a guardian, a doctor, a tourist guide, etc... and still waiting for some recognition. We all go through periods of time when we think we chose the wrong job but fortunately most of us are in general happy with our work. It all depends on the students, their behaviour, their motivation and also our way of doing things. We have to try hard to motivate our students but sometimes it is literally impossible and that �s when you want to leave and think of any other alternatives.
Hope this is only a bad time you are going through and soon you �ll realize this profession is worth fighting for.
My best wishes
Yolanda

26 Feb 2012     

Redbull
Thailand

Reverse Psychology

link..... http://www.ehow.com/how_4443252_use-reverse-psychology.html
I use these methods all the time with the leaders of trouble students and make them feel important in classes! and please take the advice of all above there are some good advices here.

redbull gives you wings you knowWink.

26 Feb 2012     

sirhaj
Malaysia

Thank you everybody, those help...

26 Feb 2012     

pupa
Serbia

Hi Sirjaj
You post reminded me of the days when I started teaching more than 30 years ago and it was with very difficult teenage classes who claimed that they had no interest in learning the language whatsoever. There were a lot of difficult and shameful situations that I was exposed to but although I felt disappointed with my job and miserable I knew that I had to stick to my demands and make  them study .
Eventually I came to a very umportant conclusion that their misbehaviour was their way of fighting against more obligations and hard work and what �s even more important, their English was very poor indeed and they wanted it to stay that way and not to have to prepare for classes and look ridiculous because they can �t perform.
Well, to make the long story short as soon as I told them that my being a teacher meant that I was ready to help them and teach no matter what their level of English was, things started to change for the better. I went back to the basics and did the chain substitution drills that everyone could do provided that they heard what the previous person had said. This did a miracle. My students started paying attention to what had been said before and were able to face the challenge when it was their turn. I convinced them that there were no lost cases in learning and that they had to believe in me and in themselves. I showed them how they would be able to construct meaningful sentences with that little material we practiced that day. I acquired a huge respect from my students by showing them how to overcome their frustrations in learning and I can assure you that they felt really important because their teacher thought they could. And they really improved a lot...I am always happy to remember my most difficult students and how it changed.
Here is one example of the simple exercise, just to give you a hint:
           Write a sentence on the board e.g.
                                              I am a teacher.
         Tell your students that you will say one word which they need to use, do the necessary alterations and repeat the new sentence
                    T.-she               S1: She is a teacher.
                    T.- Mary            S2: Mary is a teacher.
                    T.- a student     S2: Mary is a student.    etc.
Dear colleague, if you think that this could be the reason of your students � misbehaviour, send me a PM and I would be glad to help with more suggestions.
My final message, please don �t give up and don �t forget that you are in the lead.
Good luck,
pupa

26 Feb 2012     

< Previous   1    2