Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > go up vs go down this street    

go up vs go down this street

k.samula
Poland

go up vs go down this street

Can you please tell me what �s the difference between go up and go down in the context of giving directions? Is it just about topography or is there something else?

27 Feb 2012      

pilarmham
Spain

I would say the difference lies in this:
does the street take a glide up or a glide down?

28 Feb 2012     

yanogator
United States

Actually, there �s no difference. It is somewhat a regional thing, and a personal preference.

Bruce

28 Feb 2012     

Apodo
Australia

We usually go down to a place that is South and up to a place that is North of us.

But we can also go up to a higher place (in the mountains) or down to the town in the valley.

Some people go up to town and some go down to town. It �s  up the street, or down the street.

The choice is regional, and it is a personal preference as Bruce said, but there is usually a logical reason why.

28 Feb 2012     

Redbull
Thailand

I would say ....Go along this street. you can �t say no mater where you live in England we are going down/up to Cambridge next week why, because it �s grammatically wrong.
We was told to say I �m going over to or to Cambridge next week. Same applies to this rule.

So along would be the right word to say in this sentence. 

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

28 Feb 2012