Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What does the sentence mean?    

What does the sentence mean?

babystudent
Germany

What does the sentence mean?

HI!  I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

I found a wonderful text for my students (dealing with Britishness), but within is a nasty sentence which I �m not sure how to interpret. So I �d be very happy if somebody could help me to paraphrase it! Thanks!

Britain �s historical identity has been produced by accretion, subtle accommodation and fudge: to define it is impossible because it has had no consistent conscious intent.
Here are my confuesed thoughts:
Does it mean that Britain has grown (economically?!?or simply grown = more inhabitants from different nations?!?), that there has always been a careful reconciliation of opposing ideas?!?or that the people who came to Britain were sort of welcomed/tolerated?!?  and that there was some cheating involved (if yes: what is meant by this? Colonialisation?!?)

You �d make me very happy if you could enlighten my confused thoughts!!!!

THANKS in advance!

Have a wonderful day!
Diana

28 Feb 2012      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi!

here the definition for accreation =
an increase by natural growth or by gradual external addition; growth in size or extent.
the result of this process.
an added part; addition: The last part of the legend is a later accretion.
the growing together of separate parts into a single whole.
Law . increase of property by gradual natural additions, as of land by alluvion.

Fudge = avoid

ac�com�mo�da�tion   [uh-kom-uh-dey-shuhn]  Show IPA
noun
the act of accommodating; state or process of being accommodated; adaptation.
adjustment of differences; reconciliation.
Sociology . a process of mutual adaptation between persons or groups, usually achieved by eliminating or reducing hostility, as by compromise or arbitration.
anything that supplies a need, want, favor, convenience, etc.
Usually, accommodations. a.
lodging.
b.
food and lodging.
c.
a seat, berth, or other facilities for a passenger on a train, plane, etc.

hope this helps.

28 Feb 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I think almaz or ldthemagicman (Alex and Les) could give you another hand, both British ... Why don �t you PM them ?

28 Feb 2012     

babystudent
Germany

Thanks for your help!!!!!

28 Feb 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi babystudent

I found the original text (well texts, as it appears numerous times on the web) for this and and personally I find it extremely difficult to fathom.   I really think that you do need someone like Almaz or Les to explain.

Cheers

Jayho

28 Feb 2012