Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > British Identity    

British Identity

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

British Identity

Dear Members,

At present, I am looking after a member of my family who is sick, so I hope that you will forgive me for answering late.

Diana, �Babystudent�, asked a question the other day regarding �The Telegraph� newspaper article which investigated �Britishness� --- the �identity� of the British people --- and compared the USA and Britain in this respect.

Babystudent

What does the sentence mean?

HI! I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

I found a wonderful text for my students (dealing with Britishness), but within is a nasty sentence which I �m not sure how to interpret. So I �d be very happy if somebody could help me to paraphrase it! Thanks!

�Britain �s historical identity has been produced by accretion, subtle accommodation and fudge: to define it is impossible because it has had no consistent conscious intent�.

Here are my confused thoughts:
Does it mean that Britain has grown (economically?!?or simply grown = more inhabitants from different nations?!?), that there has always been a careful reconciliation of opposing ideas?!?or that the people who came to Britain were sort of welcomed/tolerated?!? and that there was some cheating involved (if yes: what is meant by this? Colonialisation?!?)

You �d make me very happy if you could enlighten my confused thoughts!!!!

THANKS in advance!

Have a wonderful day!

Diana

ldthemagicman

Here is my answer.

I have given no specific historical examples to explain contentious points, because I do not wish to provoke political comment.  My answer is an explanation of the opinions expressed in the article, not an expression of my opinions.

�We don�t need to define Britishness!�

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/janetdaley/3555154/We-dont-need-to-define-Britishness.html

12:01AM GMT 18 Feb 2008

The article suggested that prospective citizens of the USA have a clear idea of the character of American citizenship.

�To settle in the US is, in effect, to sign the "social contract" that the founding fathers envisaged: accept the rules and the principles on which this country is established and you can belong here. That �s the deal that is spelt out very clearly to every prospective citizen�.

By contrast, prospective citizens of Britain have a very unclear idea of the character of British citizenship, because it was influenced by so many factors.

�Britain does not have a unified, coherent, identifiable self-image, either as a people or as a political entity, which it can offer to incomers as an inspiration and a ready-made value system�.

�Britain �s historical identity has been produced by accretion, subtle accommodation and fudge: to define it is impossible because it has had no consistent conscious intent�.

Britain�s �historical identity� --- it�s identity from a historical viewpoint --- has evolved due to a combination of factors.

It�s �identity� is its �character�, its �individuality�, its �distinctiveness�.  It is a description of the characteristics which make Britain unique, and unlike any other land.  These peculiarities can be traced back to their roots in history.

Britain�s �identity� is what makes Britain, BRITAIN!

Historically, however, Britain did NOT grow geographically, politically and economically in accordance with some carefully constructed Great Plan, prepared, detailed, and executed in precise order.

On the contrary, Britain developed by a process of accretion; subtle accommodation; and fudge --- Britain developed by progressively increasing its territory; by strategic compromise; and by equivocation.  

The Celts of the British Isles fought among themselves for superiority.  There followed many conflicts, with the Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Norse, Danes, and finally the Normans from France.

During these times, territory was lost and gained; alliances were formed and re-formed; and treaties were made and broken.  Gradually, the lesser languages began to disappear from Britain, and one merged language was given precedence --- Modern English.

There was an accretion of land --- a gradual accumulation of territory.  England steadily acquired more land within Britain by a variety of means, and became �The United Kingdom�.

It also gained overseas territories by exploration, discoveries, colonisation, wars, purchases, exchanges, and general territorial expansion.  Sometimes these lands were joined to the United Kingdom by Acts of Union, sometimes by agreement, sometimes by force, sometimes by accident, and sometimes by subterfuge.

There were �subtle accommodations�.  These were convenient arrangements, settlements, or compromises between Britain and another power, in which each hoped to gain an advantage.  There was possibly some subtle clause in the agreement which became evident at a later date; or the text of the agreement was deliberately imprecise; or the underlying intention of the agreement was known to the two signatories, but was unwritten.  Each side �accommodated� the other, obliged the other, fitted in with the needs or wishes of the other, because it was politically, or economically, or territorially advantageous to do so.  The modern expression is: �You scratch my back and I�ll scratch yours!�    

Finally, sometimes the result was �a fudge�, where there was neither a clear decision in one direction, nor in the other direction.  Sometimes, it was handled in this vague manner so as to mislead, or to conceal the truth.  This was often done in an attempt to �keep everyone happy�.  It had to be fudged, and to be unclear, or to be ambiguous, because if every condition had been clearly described for the whole world to see, one side or the other would have refused to sign the document.

This developing process never had any specific objective, or ultimate goal, or precisely planned end.  Because it evolved in a haphazard, random, unplanned manner, there was no conscious, deliberate effort to influence the conclusion.

The development of Britain, its people, its language and its economy depended on a complicated mix of numerous factors which have affected its place in history.

Geographically, it is a group of islands off Europe with numerous sea-ports facing north, south, east, and west.  These enabled the British fleets to fish; to trade; to attack and defend; to voyage; to explore, to discover, to conquer and to colonise new territories.  Over the years, the number of British territories has increased and then decreased.  The one-time �British Empire�, in which Britain was predominant, was long ago replaced by the �Commonwealth of Nations�, in which every nation has equal status.

Its people are of diverse cultures.  Over the centuries, their numbers have been increased by immigration, colonisation, influx of refugees, and by political alliances.  The population included important figures in the world of literature, art, science, medicine, politics, and industry.  Many of these British people travelled widely and exerted great influence on the world.  However, equally, many oversees people have come to Britain, adopted British nationality, and have subsequently influenced British life.  

English was, initially, a minor, unimportant language.  However, with the gradual decline in the use of Latin; the invention of printing; and the increase and expansion of British territories overseas; English spread around the world.  Now, however, English in these territories is changing its characteristics.  There is British English, but there is also Australian English, American English, Indian English, etc.  The wheel is turning. 

Finally, Britain has played a constantly changing role in world economics.  At first it was commercial, then it was industrial, and finally it was financial.  Now, because of changed world circumstances, it is a combination of all three.

For these reasons, it is impossible to say: �Here is a clear definition of Britain�s historical identity�.

I hope that this helps.

Les

2 Mar 2012      

wysiwyg
France

As always, it �s a real pleasure to read your explanations, Les, thank you for taking the time.
As a French citizen I would never venture to comment on such thing as �Britishness". I can hardly define the identity of my own fellow citizens.
It is a historical, political and sociological analysis. What I know because I have experienced it so many times, is that the identity of the British people is something that has a cultural reality that cannot be denied. Going to the UK is a unique experience, British people have a strong cultural idendity, being a multicultural and multi-national society has not resulted in a loss of identity. In my humble opinion, it is a combination of traditions, way of life, positions on specific questions.
All the best, Les, I hope your relative will be on the mend soon.

2 Mar 2012     

babystudent
Germany

Dear Les,

thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in such a formidable way!!!!
Your answer is simply mind-blowing- I love it and it helped me a lot.
Thanks again!

Diana

20 Mar 2012