Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Strange pictures    

Strange pictures

mjpa
Spain

Strange pictures

Some time ago, i found somewhere a very useful and funny activity for practising speaking. It consisted on several pictures taken from different angles on very common things. The activity consisted on making students think and speak about what they were. They had to try to guess what they were.
Some of them were just the neck of a giraffe or a toast with butter on it. They were black and white pictures. Very simple drawings.

My students find this activity so funny and they spend such a good time speaking english - something they don�t usually like very much- that i was trying to find some more similar pictures. The problem is that i do not remember where i took that activity from. I know it was taken from a book, but i do not know which one.
Does anybody here have any idea which book could it be, or where to find similar pictures?
Thanks in advance.

2 Mar 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Haven �t seen what you �ve described, so tried to find some substitute. How about this http://jill-of-alltrades.hubpages.com/hub/Guess-What-Close-up-of-Some-Common-and-Natural-Things?
Sophia

2 Mar 2012     

mjpa
Spain

Thanks for the suggestion Sophia, though it has nothing to do with what i was really talking about. I really appreciate your idea, but the problem is that those images are too difficult for my students to talk about. I need something "easier". The problem is that I can�t show you what i was thinking about either.
Anyway, thanks again.

3 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

What if you take some good quality clipart, enlarge and crop it to the extent when you have just a part of the object for your ss to guess and talk about and create your own cards? I tried to find smth but couldn�t. There are free hidden pictures games though, check here  http://www.eslgamesworld.com/members/games/pptgames/index.html (scroll down a bit and click to download to your computer, btw they also offer a free template for this game and a tutorial)
Sophia

3 Mar 2012     

aloga
Spain

Have a look at this book "Games for Language Learning" (it �s an old one, yet interesting).
The game you refer to is "That �s an unusual view!"
Nice Sunday!

4 Mar 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

http://www.jalt-publications.org/old_tlt/articles/1998/03/modesto
- great for modals - must be, can �t be, might be, may be, could be, maybe it is, it is probably a, I am pretty sure it is a ...
(one of the pictures must have been a ..., it can �t have been a ..., the first one might have been a ...)

I have drawn a collection of such pictures from an unusal angle. Please contact me via PM, I will try to send it to you. There is 25-30 pictures to decode...

4 Mar 2012