Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation    

translation

tresreinas
Argentina

translation

Hi everyone!!!

I need your help!
How do you call a student who pretends to love the teacher more than the rest ??
In Argentina we call them "Chupa medias" My students have asked me for the word in English and I haven �t been able to find an answer yet!!
Thanks in advance!!
Have a nice day!

4 Mar 2012      

lagringa
Argentina

Hello, tresreinas. Isn �t it apple polisher? Hugs

4 Mar 2012     

tresreinas
Argentina

I think you are right!!!

Thanks from Quilmes!!

4 Mar 2012     

rockthevinyl
United States

We say "teacher �s pet" or "brownnoser" (the last is an unpleasant visual) in the U.S.

4 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�Apple polisher! � - it �s lovely, but I �ve never heard it before. Maybe it comes from years ago, when a goody two -shoes pupil would bring an apple to school for the teacher.

�The teacher �s pet � is the teacher �s favourite pupil. It �s a real put-down for a pupil to be called the teacher �s pet by his or her classmates. I suppose a good term for a pupil who sucks up to the teacher would be �creep. �

4 Mar 2012     

tresreinas
Argentina

Thanks for answering
I have always  had the idea that teacher�s pet is the teacher�s favourite student but I was looking for a word to call those students who try hard to make the teachers like them and often the rest of the students reject this kind of behavior . Please leet me know if I�m mistaken.

4 Mar 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I would also call that kind of student a swot, altho that is probably a little public school, Billy Bunter �ish - definatly British English :-)

4 Mar 2012     

IbuLulu
Australia

Brown-nose or suck-up in Australia... ;-)

4 Mar 2012     

tresreinas
Argentina

Thanks Ibululu!!
I think BROWN NOSE is the word I was looking for. I have already checked it with the Cambridge on line dictionary
Thanks everyone from sunny Argentina

4 Mar 2012     

declan.aglbraith
Palestine

Hello i need also help from to all of you. could you please share with me lovely song related to our earth. i will be thankful to u all if u send me.... thanks

5 Mar 2012