Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP........!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

HELP........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lusil
Indonesia

HELP........!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear teachers,

Please Help this desperate teacher..Unhappy

My students can �t read. They are 6-9 years old. I give them private class for English. They don �t go to school. So, they had no idea about alphabets or reading before they joined my class. I have taught them to read using phonics learning for more than 6 months.. but still, they can �t read yet. This phonics method only works for reading short words like C-A-T or T-A-K-E, but not for more complicated spelling like straight or stomach-ache.

Please, i need your suggestion..

Thanks in advance....

5 Mar 2012      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I �d begin by teaching them 5 basic vowel sounds. Once they are aware of each sound, I �d add consonants but just one, like PA, TA, KA, etc, so they get each consonant sound and then use them with the different vowels : PA PE PI PO PU . Once they master e.g. plosives, I would move on to words with more than one consonant in them, like POT, TOD, GUT and so on.
I wouldn �t try to teach all of the sounds at once, just my opinion.
Maybe your sts are not little children, but sometimes smth like this can be useful :
http://www.starfall. com 
Limit the initial reading vocabulary.
Reading is a very complex process. Not all words can be read using simple phonic rules. Many important words need to be learned by sight. Teach only the simple and common words at first. The knowledge of 400 key words called Dolch words, is all a young child needs to be able to read well. Download our word list on the main page.

5 Mar 2012