Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > FILMS ABOUT FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS    

FILMS ABOUT FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS

pilarnavarro
Spain

FILMS ABOUT FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS

Good afternoon from Spain,dear mates. I ask for your help again.

I �ve just started a topic about families with my seventeen - year-old Bachillerato students.
I �ve been thinking that it would be a good idea to screen a film showind some of these relationships. After watching the film, we could start a debate about it. Obviously, the discussion about the topic would depend on the nature of the conflicts shown. The problem is that I �m not very keen on films. Maybe I �ve heard about them but don �t know very much about the plot.

What films do you recommend watching? Are there any worksheets available in our wonferful site?

All suggestions are welcome!

6 Mar 2012      

Stereobuzz
Ukraine

Dear Pilarnavarro,
There �s a very nice film about really interesting family relations - 
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE;)
And it �s good for teenagers;)
Have fun!;)

6 Mar 2012     

madamev
France

I like �Bend it like Beckham � very much: the story is about an Indian girl who lives in Britain and who dreams of becoming a professional soccer player. But her parents don �t want her to keep playing soccer in her team because of their traditions. I �m sure you �ll find useful worksheets on this film. Good luck, hope I �ve helped a little!

edit: oh, and there�s this film, Billy Eliot, about a boy who wants to be a dancer.

6 Mar 2012     

douglas
United States

"Parenthood" is a comedy starring Steve Martin and many otehrs that takes a comedic approach to a large number of family/parenting issues.

6 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Speaking of Steve Martin - Cheaper by the Dozen comes to mind:)
Sophia

6 Mar 2012     

mjpa
Spain

What about Stepmon (qu�date a mi lado).
I think it is a good film on the topic you are talking about and moreover, it�s suitable for the ages you�re looking for.

The film is about a terminally-ill mother who  has to settle on the new woman in her ex-husband �s life, who will be their new stepmother.

6 Mar 2012     

Mietz
Germany

Hi,
what about the "Adams Family"? Might be funny for them...
Mietz

6 Mar 2012     

pilarnavarro
Spain

thank you for all your wonderful ideas.  I �ll look into them to see which one suits me better.Hug

6 Mar 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Check out "Kramer v Kramer" I first saw it in my teens and loved it. Goodness knows how many times I �ve seen it! It �s a classic. Great performances from Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep. It �s about a guy who �s a workaholic, and his wife leaves him to raise their young son on his own and he ends up having to fight for custody. There are some wonderful memorable scenes. It �s very moving and even heartbreaking at times but also very funny as you see how father and son have to learn to adapt to their new routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmyfOquda-M&feature=related

Colibrita

6 Mar 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Actually I just did a Kramer v Kramer search on here and there �s a printable. It might be worth checking out.

A good topic for debate from this film would be if it �s really fair that custody is almost always granted to the mother?

6 Mar 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

In the film the Dad says to the court:

"What law is it that says a woman �s a better parent simply by virtue of her sex... I �ve had to think a lot about whatever it is that makes somebody a good parent: constancy, patience, understanding... love. Where is it written that a man has less of those qualities than a woman?"

Definitely food for thought...

6 Mar 2012     

1    2    Next >