Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Private Web page or blog    

Private Web page or blog

cheezels
New Zealand

Private Web page or blog

Hi everyone!

I would really like to make a website for my students and parents where I can scan and share their work (pdf/words files and audio or mover maker) and also upload photos of them doing various activities.
Now the problem is that as I want to use photos of young children so I need the blog/web site to be password protected or only accessible by logging in.

For example I used to have a blog on blogger or something like and then discovered that my pictures were not just on my blog but available at Picasso which I hadn �t realised at the time. I need a platform that this doesn �t happen, otherwise I would have a lot of upset parents!
Moodle doesn �t really fit my needs sadly.

Wordpress has a private function but also requires that anyone who has permission to access the blog also has a wordpress account and I am not sure that my parents would like that too much.

Any ideas from those in the know? Can it be done in this age of no privacy on the web?

7 Mar 2012      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

I think you can do that with any kind of blog /web, you can password them. I use bloger and there it works like this - in the settings youcan select who can read your blog .

Blog Readers

Your blog is open to all readers by default.

Your blog is restricted so that only blog authors can read it.
Other visitors to this blog will not be able to read any posts; instead they will get a message stating that this is a private blog.

You can restrict your blog to only readers you choose. However, these readers will need to log in before reading your blog, adding an extra step.
We �ll save your readers list for you, so you can switch back at any time.

7 Mar 2012     

perma
Greece

Hi cheezels!

You can also make a wiki. You can make it private and password protected.

Wikis have an advantage. They offer a special "education plan" where you can create your wiki stating that you are a teacher and then you can create user accounts for all your students in bulk without providing their emails or anything. You just upload a list with their names (which will also be their user names) and it generates passwords for them. 

The students will be able to edit pages if you give them permission, so they can post their homework and projects for their classmates and parents to see. It �s simple and practical, give it a try.

I �d give you a link to my wiki to check it out, but unfortunately I have to keep it private as my students are young, too. Another member of ESLP has a very nice wiki open to public view. It �s orlywiner.wikispaces.com

HTH Smile
Katerina

7 Mar 2012     

Lizaza
Belarus

try Edmodo

7 Mar 2012     

cheezels
New Zealand

Thank you all so much! It �s winding down time here and am thinking of taking a book to bed, so will check these sites out in the morning!

Thank you!!!!
Thumbs Up

7 Mar 2012     

libertybelle
United States

I pay about 100 kroner a year to have my own website and email.
I �m sure they have the same in Sweden.
Have to tried to check it out there?

Good luck Hon - -I don �t know much about blogging!!

Hugs L

8 Mar 2012     

tresreinas
Argentina

I also think Edmodo is a good option!

8 Mar 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

I don �t really see any reason why your site should be password protected. Certainly not if you get the parents� permission to post their children �s activities (I�m supposing they wouldn�t mind).

Many other websites - including some of the British Council - feature photos and videos of classroom activities.

It �s not as if there will be anything indecent on the site, is it - or is it just health and safety laws gone mad where you live?

BTW, if you really go ahead with this, make sure you have plenty of spare time (preferably during your working hours) to update and manage your site. Before you know it this will take up quite some time if your blog is successful (managing comments, updating the site, posting photos and videos, replying to messages etc.).

8 Mar 2012     

perma
Greece

Safety laws Philip.
I would have to take the written consent of ~100 children �s parents and still I would be answerable should anything go wrong. Anyone could track down who these kids are, where they live etc.
Besides the wiki I use provides personal messaging to its members, which I can �t control. By keeping it private I know they can pm only one another. I could disable the messnger but I don �t want to. 

8 Mar 2012     

cheezels
New Zealand

Privacy is certainly the issue as I work at 14 different schools with 36 children and at the moment I don �t have the contact I would like with various families (and I can tell you it �s not from lack of trying!!!!) and I don �t have the time to individually send photos etc to every single parent. My ages range from 3-16 as well so most have individual programs.

I thought it could be a nice way to post pictures of the younger kids doing their various activities and for the older students to post their work: like their stories and ppts and the projects they have made using movie maker.
I would be looking to upload examples only once a month, which I would make clear from the outset.

Maybe a blog is the wrong term, website maybe?
Hmmmmm

8 Mar 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Privacy is a big issue  in Scandinavia, Phillip,. You are not allowed to post public pictures of your students due to the creeps and pedophiles out there.
All they have to do is see a picture and finding the child �s town. Not difficult in this day and age.

On the other hand Cheezels - do any of your schools have intranet? You can post pictures there for the kids and their parents to see because intranet is secure and password protected.

Like I wrote, I have a cheap website.  Try Unoeuro.

8 Mar 2012     

1    2    Next >