Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Confused    

Confused

Xandra10
Serbia

Confused

Hello friends! I need help with this short paragraph and the use of less and fewer with these phrases:

Children get sun burnt more easily than the adults. Sunscreen for children should have the the highest possible sun protection filter number, not ( LESS,FEWER) than 15 and contain (LESS,FEWER) chemical ingredients than sunscreen for adults.

I �d really appreciate a quick answer! Thanks!

9 Mar 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

not less than 15...... fewer chemical ingredients. 

9 Mar 2012     

Xandra10
Serbia

Thank you, I thought that myself but just to be on the safe side :)

9 Mar 2012     

ksenijamrvica
Croatia

less is always uncountable, fewer goes with countable nouns...

10 Mar 2012     

Xandra10
Serbia

Yes, of course but the noun is number which is countable so I figured that "fewer" is also possible. Furthermore, ingredients can be both countable and uncountable, so ...I thought that a native speaker would know best    :)
Thanks!

10 Mar 2012     

yanogator
United States

In this case, the 15 is essentially a name or identifier, rather than the count of somthing, so "less" is correct. It �s very similar to temperature, which is a number, but we use "less" with it, too.
I can �t think of a situation when "ingredients" is uncountable.

Bruce

10 Mar 2012     

Xandra10
Serbia

Thank you, I �m not confused anymore.

10 Mar 2012