Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need some help...    

Need some help...

Sorcha
Portugal

Need some help...

Hi,

Can you help me understanding the structure used in this sentence?

"...everyone knows she�s WON�T be talking about her pregnancy"

I can understand the meaning but I �m not sure about the word which replaces the �s.

Thanks. Sorcha

13 Mar 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

Are you sure about the �s? - because I honestly don �t think it has any business being in that sentence...

13 Mar 2012     

mariec
Spain

Everyone  knows that she isn�t going to be talking about her pregnany.

or, Everyone knows that she won�t be talking about her pregnancy.

I agree with anitarobi, there�s no way you can use �s before won�t.

13 Mar 2012     

Sorcha
Portugal

Thank you both. But I came across it in a CPE book and on the internet and in both sentences the meaning was the same so I felt the need to clarify. Thanks again.

13 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What about �Everyone knows she �s wont to talking about her pregnancy �  - this means she �s inclined to talk about it, will be talking about it all the time.

13 Mar 2012     

Sorcha
Portugal

That would be a possibility but these are the sentences I saw:
1) At the moment, she �s won �t agree to our plans, but I think she �ll change her mind.
2) In fact Sienna has decided to tell Vogue that she won�t be talking about her pregnancy just to make sure that everyone knows she�s WON�T be talking about her pregnancy.
3)Tottenham �s hat-trick hero Gareth Bale insists he �s won �t leave White Hart Lane

Thanks.

13 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�won �t � is an abbreviation for   �will not � and �wont � means �accustomed to �   �will habitually do �.

13 Mar 2012     

Sorcha
Portugal

cunlife, what about the �s before won �t?

13 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

this is just odd... this is the first time I see the �s thing with won �t.
Sophia

13 Mar 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

It sounds like poor proofreading to me. I agree with everyone else: "she �s" doesn �t belong in front of won �t. "She �s not going to talk about her pregnancy" is as close as you can get and be grammatically correct.

I am always so disappointed when I see so-called professional writers and editors making stupid mistakes like that. We expect our students (and sometimes friends and family members) to make dumb mistakes, but paid writers and editors should know better.

13 Mar 2012