Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Why don īt we teach 3 year olds (Thailand) the sound of the letter insteat of the letter first and then the sound?     

Why don īt we teach 3 year olds (Thailand) the sound of the letter insteat of the letter first and then the sound?

foose1
United States

Why don īt we teach 3 year olds (Thailand) the sound of the letter insteat of the letter first and then the sound?

I wonder if any of you have tryed to teach the younger ones the phonetic sound rather than the sound of the letter first?  I see kids a little older struggling to come up with the phonetic sound when trying to read basic words and wonder if it would be better to teach agh, baa, caa, etc. first rather than A, agh, b, baa, etc.?  Has anyone tryed this method and was then outcome?

Joh

14 Mar 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Aren īt they taught together though?
BTW here in Ukraine, in the kindergarten, we are supposed to teach an oral course, i.e. no letters.
Sophia

14 Mar 2012     

[email protected]
Egypt

I teach them together also but I start with the sound then the letter name, e.g., agh - a, ba - b. Saying the sound first helps more when they learn to read. However, I think that teaching young children the sounds only will make it hard for them to learn and use the letter names afterwards.

14 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I remember my first year as a teacher. Right after graduation I worked in a private Christian school with first-graders. They used an American programme and when we taught them the alphabet, we used different positions of the letter in different words  (phonics) and pictures + a song and a rhyme.
E.g. The teacher would say (showing a picture of letter a)"ei" reads "a:" + a picture of armadillo "armadillo"
"ei" (a) reads "ei" + a picture of an ape - Rhyme: "The aging ape was out of shape because he ate and ate and ate" (with moves to illustrate) etc. And the students were accumulating the knowledge like a snowball which rolls and becomes bigger and bigger, each time adding more words and more letters and rhymes, when they finished the alphabet, they could sing all those songs for each letter and sound.
Sophia

14 Mar 2012     

12bprecise
Mexico

There is at least one method that teaches the sounds first and later the letter names: http://www.zoo-phonics.com/about.html

14 Mar 2012     

foose1
United States

Thanks for your suggestions.

John

15 Mar 2012