Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Good Evening?    

Good Evening?

sirhaj
Malaysia

Good Evening?

Hi everybody,

I �m confused on what is the period of the day where we should use "good evening" and "good afternoon", if it �s like 2 PM, its good afternoon I believe but how about if it �s 4 PM or 5 PM, in my country that is like 2 or 1 hour before dusk where night is arriving. Good Evening? or Good afternoon? thanks all

Sirhajwan

21 Mar 2012      

yanogator
United States

It partly depends on where you are. If you are still at work at 5:00, then "good afternoon" is best. If you have gone home, then "good evening" is the better choice. 5:00 is approximately the time to change, but there isn �t a strict definition.

Bruce

21 Mar 2012     

mariec
Spain

I�ve always heard that after lunch we start saying,"good afternoon" up to 6pm, then we

say, "good evening"

21 Mar 2012     

yanogator
United States

As I said, there isn �t a strict definition. Good Afternoon begins after 12:00. Good Evening generally begins when you leave your daytime location (work, school, whatever), or around 5 or 6 o �clock.

Bruce

21 Mar 2012