Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can we use "how much time" instead of "how long"?    

Can we use "how much time" instead of "how long"?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Can we use "how much time" instead of "how long"?

Hello everybody,
I have just seen the first question in my son �s English book and I was really surprised because I thought it wasn �t used in correct English.
Can you help me?
My best wishes
Yolanda

21 Mar 2012      

Mariethe House
France

how long has he lived in England? I �d say: how long+present perfect gives an idea of duration from a moment in the past, up to now.

How much time do you need to do this? it is used with the present tense to envisage a duration in the near future.

It is not a very "grammatical" explanation but this is all I can think of!Smile

21 Mar 2012     

yanogator
United States

You are right, Mariethe, but it can also work just as well in the past and future:

How much time did you need for baking that cake?

How much time will you need to explain this?

We would usually use "how much time" with the concept of need for a task. It also works with "take".

How much time did it take you to finish your degree? This is a little less common than "How long did it take you?", but sounds natural.

Bruce

22 Mar 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Interesting question.

Yes, think of a task:

how long do you need / how much time do you need
how long did it take you (did you need)  / how much time did it take you (did you need)

It doesn�t really work with events such as meetings, concerts etc except in some instances.

e.g.  a meeting, a lunch appointment
how long will it go for / how much (of my) time will it take = ok, if the person is very busy and is trying to fit the meeting into a busy schedule

e.g. a concert, movie, an outing
how long will it be / how much (of my) time will it take latter not ok

22 Mar 2012     

Mariethe House
France

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=150113

QUite a complicated question!!Big smile

22 Mar 2012