Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help with this one!    

Please help with this one!

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Please help with this one!

Hi!

I am revising for the CAE and am using CAE Gold CD. In their Language Quizz (unit 4)  you have to choose one of 4 sentences.

A. He would never have been successful had he not gone to university.
B. He would never have been successful if he not gone to university.
C. He would never have been successful he not gone to university.
D. He would never have been successful if he has not gone to university.

Obviously, sentence A is the right one!

My questions are;
- can we say "He would never have been successful if he hadn �t gone to university"?
- why have they inverted "he" and "had"?
- why haven �t they used the word "if"?

Cheers, S

24 Mar 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Please, reduce the size of the pic! It messes up the forum.
BTW Have you tried clicking on the "show answers" button at the bottom? and isn�t this a test on the Unit, so obviously the Unit must contain some grammar rules on that.
Sophia

P. S.

24 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

�if he hadn �t.... �  - your suggestion - is correct.  The inversion �had he not gone � is correct, but much more formal language. Is it subjunctive or something? Les? Bruce?

24 Mar 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Please, reduce the size of your picture!  The forum is totally distorted because of it!!Unhappy

24 Mar 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks for reducing the pic:)
Sophia

24 Mar 2012     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

@Sophia; Thank you for the link, it was useful :)

@cunlife; Thank you for the clarification, though I don �t understand where the subjunctive is... Can you elaborate your idea??

24 Mar 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

I would elaborate more on the subjunctive were it not so tedious.

I think this tense has overstayed its welcome but refuses to die completely. Evil Smile

24 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Are there any French or Italian colleagues? They �d be much better at explaining the subjunctive as it �s much more prevalent in their language? Basically, it �s when something isn �t certain, or didn �t happen. I �m getting into hot water here! I �m with PhilipR about it, anyway!

24 Mar 2012     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

@cunliffe; I am a French speaker and the subjunctive is always used after certain verbs, i.e. you cannot use any other tense than the subjunctive after the verb vouloir e.g. Je veux que tu ailles faire... There is nothing about certainty here!!! 

I believe it has a different meaning in English more than politeness, hasn �t it?

@PhilipR; would you please send me a link where I can find a thorough explanation about this immortal tense? :P

24 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh sorry! I thought you had said you didn �t understand WHAT the subjunctive was! 

24 Mar 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi!

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for:

http://www.englishpage.com/minitutorials/subjunctive.html
http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-subjunctive.htm
http://www.ceafinney.com/subjunctive/guide.htm
l

hope this helps

24 Mar 2012     

1    2    Next >