Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > info about countries    

info about countries

saszka2
Poland

info about countries

Hello everyone,
I need some information about the following countries:
India
Japan
Thailand
Argentina
Brazil
Mexico
Greece
Ireland
Portugal

I �m especially interested in:
1. Interesting facts about the countries, something that people don �t know about or something you would tell people who have never been to these countries
2. Traditional clothes, make up, as well as what people wear nowadays
3. Something interesting about religion and festivals
4. Music and dance
5. Food
6. Culture
7. Language (How do you say hello in these countries)
8. Pictures, songs, videos, presentations

I �m asking you guys because I don �t want typical information that can be found on the internet, but something unusual, something that only native citizens know about and something that would make my students curious and interested.

I �m really counting on you

28 Mar 2012      

cecilia dagnino
Argentina

Hi!
I �m from Argentina and I have a brief presentation about Argentina which shows some of the places usually visited. If you are interested I could send it to you.
Argentina is very big country is South America. Our official language is Spanish. There different accents if you go from province to province though. Provinces are like states. In Spanish we say HOLA (hello)
 Our country is known for its meat (beef). Our barbecues (asados) are the best in the world. We also prepare Empanadas (they are prepared with meet, onions, olives). There are different varieties of Empanadas as well. Some people fry them  and some others prepared them in the oven. They are delicious.
We are also known for our Mates. It �s something you drink when you are with friends or family. It can be sweet or bitter. You put some dried leaves of yerba mate (that �s the name of the plant) in a container (mate) and then you add hot water. To drink the water you need a straw to sip.
Traditinally the country was Catholic but nowadays there are different religions in the country. You can worship them freely. Our national virgin is called Nuestra Se�ora de Lujan. There are pilgrimages to a church situated in a city called Lujan. People walk about 40 km just to ask or to thank the virgin.
There are different types of dances. This also depends on the province you visit. The most typical are called: chacareras, gatos, chamames. These dances are performed by Gauchos (men who wear bombachas de gaucho and alpargatas). Of course, internationally, Argentina is known for its tango, another dance which is not easy to learn. Many people from different countries come to Argentina to learn its steps.
Well I hope I can help. If you have any other question, don �t hesitate to ask me.
Regards,
Cecilia

28 Mar 2012     

Sulany
Brazil

http://www.factmonster.com/world.html

28 Mar 2012     

spinney
United Kingdom

Oh, and don �t forget the area of Patagonia in Argentina known as "Y Wladfa" where Welsh is still spoken by some of the inhabitants and the religious among the community sing in Welsh to this day. The only place in the world outside of Wales where the language is spoken. 

28 Mar 2012     

teacher jessie
Argentina

About Argentina I could add that when we say hello or gooddbye, we usually kiss friends and family on the cheek.
And Mate is something that you can have for breakfast, for a snack in the afternoon or just because you want to share something with someone (in my school, we teachers share some Mates during the breaks).
Hope it helps
Jessie

29 Mar 2012