Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A doubt    

A doubt

james33
Morocco

please THIS KIND OF PUNISHMENTS is also correct.It means:many punishments that are similar or the same, they represent one kind or type.We classify them under one kind.
can �t we say,for example:
this kind of cities, people,films; etc.I �m talking about a lot of films having or sharing the same aspects and represent then one kind

30 Mar 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Moravc,

I am SO PLEASED that you have raised this interesting linguistic point!

The ancient Egyptian symbol ï¿½  was first seen in the year minus 4786, (long before the reign of King Tutenkhamun). It was carved on the outside wall of a Chinese takeaway in East London.  For many years Egyptologists, Africaologists, Englandologists, and NewYorkologists believed that this was a Mandarin Chinese symbol for: "Chicken Chow Min with Fried Rice".

However, the world of Education breathed a huge sigh of Lexical Relief when my Great-Uncle FitzWilliam discovered that the true meaning was derived from  the German expression: "Zat iss Korrect!"  When this is translated into American English, it becomes "Right on, Man!"; or in British English: "You have achieved an Optimally Maximum Score".

Incidentally, my Great-Uncle was originally named Bill.  He was born in poverty, (which is quite close to London), and came from a family of 11 boys, all of whom were male, except his sister, Charlotte, who was a girl.

My Great-Uncle was the youngest: consequently he never had new clothes and always had to wear his brothers � clothes.  It was then that they changed his name to FitzWilliam, by deed poll. "That fits William!  That fits William!  That fits William!"

Perhaps I should explain that "a deed poll", in the Newcastle dialect, is "a dead parrot".

Some eminent Czechoslovakiaologists have attempted to prove that this symbol�came from the Newcastle dialect phrase, "Aa Knaa" (I know), and was eventually transmogrified to the Czech "Ano" (Yes).  The argument continues to this day, but I am prepared to agree with Moravc.

Moravc, you are absolutely right.

The symbol �also represents the ejaculation, (if you �ll pardon the word), "E-E-E-E-H!" in both Czech and English!  It is usually followed with: "That �s COMPLETELY WRONG."

I am so pleased, Moravc, that you have such great language talent, and that you have allowed me to unburden myself of a linguistic point that has troubled me for years.

Thank you.

ï¿½    CORRECT/RIGHT  (��Tick�, �This work is CORRECT�, written by the Teacher at the end of an answer).
 ï¿½    INCORRECT/WRONG  (��Cross�, �This work is NOT CORRECT�, written by the Teacher at the end of an answer).

Les

30 Mar 2012     

james33
Morocco

He faced the same kind of problems.    is correct.
What kind /kinds of cameras do you sell?      both are correct.
IT ALL DEPEND ON THE MEANING WE WANT TO EXPRESS
THANKS!

30 Mar 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Dear ESLPRINTABLE members!

It �s a fact:

"the self-made man", LES, is a Maths Teacher, as well as English, French, German teacher

A few weeks ago I found out that he was an engineer....LOL

And today I realized is also a linguistic and History teacher. lol.

Any more surprises, Les? Wink

30 Mar 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

James33,

Thank you for your posts.

"Oxford Dictionary of English", 2005, page 959.
"Kind" USAGE
The plural of kind often causes difficulty. With this or that, speaking of one kind, use a singular construction: this kind of question is not relevant; that kind of fabric doesn �t need ironing.
With these or those, speaking of more than one kind, use a plural construction: We refuse to buy these kinds of book; I �ve given up those kinds of ideas.
The ungrammatical use of these kind rather than these kinds (as in These kind of questions are not relevant) has been recorded since the 14th century, and although often encountered today, it should be avoided.

Les 

30 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would like to give this debate a very academic note by saying that �this kind of problems � just doesn �t sound right to the native �ere. 

Les, your posts are simply brilliant.  

30 Mar 2012     

< Previous   1    2