Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Picture description    

Picture description

moravc
Czech Republic

Picture description

Does the text sound correct? I am not sure about the yellow expressions, as it seems to me they can be swapped (eg: It looks as though she �s had a busy day... ). The bold expressions were to be filled in.

This photo shows a young mother and her two offspring (/children). I would say they must be from somewhere in North Asia. It looks as though they are in a crowded market, although it is difficult to tell because you can�t see much of the background. The mother has a squarish face and her hair up in a pony-tail. She looks fed up but this could be because she�s tired. Perhaps she�s had a busy day travelling. The child with its arm around her leg looks like a little girl. It seems she�s aware of the camera. The little boy can�t be more than four. He�s a little chubby, but you can see that he really takes after his mother. He has got her mouth and the most beautiful almond-shaped eyes. He�s holding something in his hand. I can�t really make it out.  It might be a charm or maybe it�s a necklace.

30 Mar 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

It sounds perfectly grammatical to me. It sounds rather tentative and wordy to me, however. Almost every statement is qualified.

30 Mar 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Thank you Moody for your help!
It seems a bit wordy as the text contains a large number of expresssions used for PET/FCE picture description... I guess it should illustrate a variety of phrases in context... (might be, perhaps, maybe, I would say, seems, can�t be, is difficult to tell, looks like, looks as though...)

30 Mar 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It should be �he has got HIS mother �s mouth. � The rest looks really good to me - a lot of conjecture, the writer is deducing things, using a variety of expressions, from the only evidence he has - a photo.

30 Mar 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Well spotted cunliffe!
What about He has got her mouth ?  Since it follows takes after his mother there is no ambiguity.

30 Mar 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Moravc

These are my suggestions:

- and her two offspring sounds more formal than using kids.
- The mother has a squarish face and her hair up in a pony-tail.
- He �s a little chubby is in my opinion a better adjective for a child than plump.

Cheers

Jayho

30 Mar 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

Fantastic!
Thanks a lot dearest friends!

30 Mar 2012