Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Go on the internet..    

Go on the internet..

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Go on the internet..

Hi,

Can you tell me please what this sentence mean :

I go on the internet ?

I found this sentence in the student´s book :
Do you have e-mail ??

Why is not the article an used after e-mail ??????

Tnanks a lot in advance

30 Mar 2012      

carinita
Argentina

To be on the Internet means <to be online> So, I guess, to go on the internet means that you are offline but you �ll now get access to the Net
BTW Internet always capitalized

In Do you have e-mail ??.  email is used as an uncountable noun 
It is countable or uncountable Other examples are coffee, tea, cake, chocolate, etc.

30 Mar 2012     

isa2
Austria

Do you have email? - a sentence that reminds me of the film title: You �ve got email.
Gramatically, the differnece between "I �ve got an email" and "I �ve got email" is that the first sentence with the article refers to a specific mail that you have received (e.g. from John)  whereas the second sentence has a general meaning or refers to the favt that you have got Internet access and an email programme.

As to "I go on the Internet", this sentence reminds me of a typical Germanism. Many of my students say this and mean "I am going to access the Internet". I highly doubt if this sentence is really used by native speakers. But let �s wait what the experts will say.

30 Mar 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, we would say "I go on the Internet", meaning "I use the internet".

Here �s an explanation with variations.
I get on the Internet every day right after work.

What do you do as soon as you get home?
Oh, I go on the Internet.   or   Oh, I get on the Internet.

Here, the Present Simple is saying that this is a repeated activity. It is the same construction as
What do you do in the morning?
I go to work.

So, we use "go on" as a very generic term here, meaning about the same as "use". If we said "get on", it would be a little more specific, referring to the activity of logging on, and would probably make some kind of reference to a specific time (as in my "as soon as you get home" example).

Some of the others will probably add to this, because we are all about teamwork here at ESLP.

Bruce

30 Mar 2012     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot.
It is very useful.

30 Mar 2012     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks, Bruce and Isa

31 Mar 2012