Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas for video game inspired activities    

Ideas for video game inspired activities

sirhaj
Malaysia

Ideas for video game inspired activities

I am currently developing activities based on online games and so far, I have the following:

Plants vs Zombies

I assign the students to groups and give each a card of a particular plant and an amount of money for the group, they have to use their cards and budget their money to purchase cards in order to strengthen their "empire", I evaluate them in terms of their strategies for defense ( Wall-nut etc), Attack ( Pea Shooter) and charger ( Sun Flower).

Hidden Chronicles

I printed all 6 scenes from the game and printed the list of items hidden in each scene, I assign the students into group and each group has 2 minutes to identify as many as objects in one scene before they rotate, after they are done, I give them a situation where they have to use only the objects they manage to find in order to solve the situation ( stranded in an island, trapped in an underground cage etc).

World Cafe

I give each group a different recipe book and a different demand for a customer/customers, using the money the customers offer to them and their desire and demands, the groups have to carefully select the recipe they need to present for their customers. There are many aspects they need to consider ( cost, time taken to prepare a recipe, ingredients (allergy) etc).

I need more ideas: maybe farmville, empire vs allies, angry bird etc. I still haven �t cracked them yet and I need something challenging, practical and convenient.Thank you.

Sirhajwan

31 Mar 2012