Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sentence completion    

sentence completion

thebard
Tunisia

sentence completion

Do you have any idea?

If you eat ten hamburgers and six pizzas you will have s....... a........ .

2 Apr 2012      

teresapr
Portugal

stomach acheSmile

2 Apr 2012     

thebard
Tunisia

Thank you

2 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

It seems like stomach ache is the obvious answer but without article a before it, it is actually incorrect.  Perhaps the missing article is a typo?

2 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

Actually, what you �ll have is sludgy arteries, but I �m sure that "a stomach ache" (with the article, as Jayho said) is the correct answer.

Bruce  Wink

2 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

LOL Bruce - I was trying to think of something funny but I couldn �t - I LOVE your version.

Aha - maybe saturated arteries - serious somethingrather?  We could make a fun game out of this.

2 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m sure to have stomach ache is correct, no article necessary. You need it for head ache, but not back ache, or tooth ache, interestingly. Can �t think of anything funny, though, but I �ll put my mind to it in the absence of a caption competition...!

2 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

If you eat six pizzas and ten hamburgers, you will get self-inflicted arteriosclerosis.

2 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

Hilarious Cunliffe, and sooo true

I looked at your response re the article and I thought surely not, but then I do recall that many Brits do say that.  So I googled it and found this and sure enough, it is often ok but then I found this where it actually shows how UK and US English is different with these.  We downunder use an article  - a stomach ache, an earache, a back ache, the flu etc. To me, it sounds strange without the article

So I learnt something new today.

2 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks for the links, Jayho. What do you say down under if both ears are aching at the same time??? haha

2 Apr 2012     

Jayho
Australia

We �d say that someone is talking too much Wink

2 Apr 2012     

1    2    Next >