Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > NEED YOUR ADVICE, MA THESIS    

NEED YOUR ADVICE, MA THESIS

sesanna
Estonia

NEED YOUR ADVICE, MA THESIS

I am trying to choose a topic for my MA thesis. I like the idea of writing it about �Giving feedback on students � works.� But it seems too broad. How can I make it narrower? Is it at all useful to make a research on this topic? One more idea is to write about �Teaching taboo themes in the classroom�. Please write if you have thoughts or ideas. I appreciate them all.

6 Apr 2012      

chrysalis
Greece

Providing qualitative feedback on students � work. Then talk about the four skills: speaking, listening, writing, reading. It seems interesting. I don �t know what kind of references you �re going to look for.

6 Apr 2012     

sesanna
Estonia

Thank you. References must be mainly research articles.

6 Apr 2012     

noursen
Tunisia

you could deal with this topic in a general way " language assessment", for example by 

talking about how to assess different skills:

when/how to assess reading,writing,speaking,listening and speaking 

personally,i �m writing about :" teaching in a learner-centered classroom "(EFL)

Good work              

6 Apr 2012     

sesanna
Estonia

Thank you. Wish you good luck with your paper.

6 Apr 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Sesanna,

Here is some advice which I gave to a previous questioner.

I suggest that you choose a topic:
Which interests you.
About which you are knowledgeable.
About which you have strong opinions.
With which you are familiar, (have studied previously?), otherwise you will be on strange territory.
About which you may have books and previous Assignments at home.
About which you enjoy reading and writing.
Which has some unanswered questions.
Which has slight problems or difficulties or controversial opinions.
If this topic has been �done previously�, there is nothing new for you to say.
If there are �problems�, you can say: �ABC says �Blaa, Blaa�; and XYZ says �No, No!�; but I am inclined to think that the answer is somewhere in-between.  I think that one solution could be ****************.�
DO NOT begin with a fixed idea that the answer to your investigation is �This�.  You may find that the answer is �That�, and you must be ready to admit that you have changed your mind!
Is your work to be written in English?  If so, you must write in excellent English.  You can lose 10% of marks for bad grammar, spelling, word-order, etc.
Look at SOME OF THE Posts on the ESLP Forum.  Where are the CAPITAL LETTERS?  Question Marks?  Full Stops?  There are none!
ALWAYS write in excellent English � even texts, or Forum letters.  It is good practice.

Very briefly, I suggest that you stick with your first choice, "FEEDBACK".

It would be necessary to choose on which of the 4 disciplines you intend to write regarding feedback: Speaking; Listening; Reading; Writing.  You would probably choose either Speaking OR Writing.

I did an Assignment which used the 6 Question Words as Section Headings.

WHO (which students) do you give the feedback to?

WHAT form does the feedback take?

WHY do we give feedback?

WHERE do we give feedback? (CLassroom? Internet? Tutorial?)

WHEN do we give feedback?

HOW do we give feedback?

Or, you could use just 3 of the Questions Words: WHY? WHEN? WHAT?

Today I don �t have much time to write, but you know my Username.  If you wish to send me a Private Message, or to ask a question, I shall attempt to answer it.

All the Best.

Les

6 Apr 2012