Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help    

I need help

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

In my opinion, teachers and students sometimes argue about what is �correct� or �incorrect�, and what is �acceptable� or �unacceptable�, in Language.  They appear to be like Mathematician�s arguing about choosing the correct Method to solve a Mathematical Problem.  They have their own preferences.  �This METHOD is CORRECT.  That METHOD is INCORRECT�.

They forget: the METHOD is not important; the RESULT is important.

One of the purposes of Mathematics is to solve a problem: How do you ensure that one side in a calculation equals the other side?

One of the purposes of Language is to solve a similar problem: How do you ensure that one side in a communication understands the other side?

The answer to both problems is: you use ANY METHOD that is APPROPRIATE TO BOTH SIDES and that gives a satisfactory solution --- quickly, easily, and accurately.

I will ask a question.

In your language, is there ONLY ONE WAY to say?  �Thank you!�

Is it IMPOSSIBLE to say? �Thanks/Thank you very much /Thanks a lot/Thanks a million/Thanks very much/Thank you, over and over again/Thank you so much/Thank you so very much/Thank you very much indeed/You�re very kind/I thank you from the bottom of my heart!�

This is just a selection of English phrases that come into my mind which mean, �Thank you�.

I am sure that it is possible, in your language also, to express your thoughts in a variety of different ways, depending on the circumstances.

Why then, do some students say? �In English, I thought that there was ONLY ONE WAY to say: �---- ---- ----�

Different individuals speak in different ways for different reasons.  The choice of words depends on many factors --- the context of the conversation; the individuals who are speaking; the relationship of the two participants; the level of English and the vocabulary available; the region of the world; the appropriate jargon, slang, or dialect; the subject under discussion; the time available to speak; the importance of the information; etc.

The purpose of language is to pass a thought, an idea, or a concept from one person to another.  Any Method which achieves this goal speedily, fluently, and correctly, without altering the sense or the substance of the message, should be regarded as a success.

Context is of vital importance.

If your Education Authority, School, or Examination Syllabus decrees that you MUST use �Book X�, and that �This� is the CORRECT ANSWER to �That� question, then you have NO CHOICE but to comply with their instructions.

However, this does not necessarily make the answer �correct�, nor �better� than other answers.  It simply means that the Authority prefers this answer, (but it may not be the answer preferred by other people).

Philip is right when he says:
�What�s your occupation?� sounds overly formal.
I think that it sounds extremely formal too.

In the garden, my next-door neighbour would probably ask me:  �What�s your job?�  However, in an Office, and answering an Official who is reading questions from an Application Form, it may be different.  He/she may very well ask me: �What is your occupation?� because that is what is written on the form.

As I have said above, the questions we ask, and the answers that we give, are dependent on many factors, the most important of which is the situation, the setting, the circumstance of the conversation.

We refer to this as the context.

Les

8 Apr 2012     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot friends

15 Apr 2012     

< Previous   1    2