Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confusing words     

confusing words

KHAWLA ALZIOD
Jordan

confusing words

Hello everyone.
I would be grateful if anyone give me the accurate difference between 
migration   -    immigration   -  emigration .
I have consulted several teachers who assured me that there is a slight difference and there is no need to mention it .
I �ve checked the answer from  different dictionaries and I want you to ask others .
Thanks .

9 Apr 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

migration -  the movement of large numbers of people, birds or animals from one place to another- in human language, to move around in big numbers:)

immigration - the process of coming to live permanently in a country that is not your own; the number of people who do this - moving in:)

emmigration - to leave your own country to go and live permanently in another country - moving out:)
Sophia

9 Apr 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

This is how I understand that:
migration - moving to other places (birds, people moving to change a job etc...)
immigration - people moving/coming to (your) country - searching asylum
emigration - people moving/leaving (from your) country to a foreign country

There are many Slovakian immigrants  in the Czech Republic because our languages are very similar. There has been a great number of emigrants leaving the CR to live in Austria and West Germany after 1968 because our country was occupied by Soviet army.

Hihi, Sophia, we were writing at the same time...

PS: There is the funny part: You are a Jordan emigrant in the UK but the British citizens call you an immigrant because you came to the UK to live from Jordan. Each person living in a foreign country permanently can be called immigrant (by people from his new country) or emigrant (by his homeland countrymen).

9 Apr 2012     

ironik
Australia

very simple: 
immigration- in
emigration- out
migration- both of them :)

9 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

If someone told me there is such a slight difference between words with the same root but different prefixes, that you don �t really need to mention it, I �d go and consult a dictionary and not ask the same person again. Tongue

Ironik made it very simple, I suggest you find some more examples on the web and in dictionaries.

9 Apr 2012     

Mouna mch
Algeria

thanks ironik  for your simple but clear explanation!

9 Apr 2012