Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > plurals    

plurals

mirela.sorina
Romania

plurals

I have a grammar queations- which nouns finishing in "o" do not take the plural �es"; I know that those that are considered neologisms, such as photo; is there a better explanation/ rule? After a while all neologisms become common words, so how can we decide?

12 Apr 2012      

kodora
Greece

Have a look at this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_plural
Dora

12 Apr 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

As far as I know, it goes like this:

Words ending in consonant + o add es.
Examples
hero/heroes, potato/potatoes/ tomato/tomatoes ...

Words ending in a vowel + O  follow the general rule
Examples
cuckoo /  cuckoos

Also words with a foreign origin follow the general rule.
Examples
photo / photos, piano / pianos ...

Hope this help

Linda

12 Apr 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

thanks- still how should the ss know which words are foreign?

12 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Make a list of commonly used words borrowed from other languages which follow that rule and just introduce them to your ss. 
Advise them to consult a dictionary if they come across any words ending in "o" which they aren �t sure about.
Sophia

12 Apr 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �m afraid the �foreign word � rule doesn �t really stand up. Apart from the fact that herotomato and potato are themselves borrowings from other languages anyway, Linda �s �foreign � examples are actually abbreviated forms of photograph and pianoforte. In any case, there aren �t that many �native � nouns in English which end in -o (I �m thinking hairdo - hairdos at the moment) Otherwise, I �d go with Sophia �s advice and ask your students to check a dictionary.

12 Apr 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Almaz

Thanks for your updating of my old grammar rules.

The fact is that for the common nouns, we, latin people, have a special feeling of what nouns are not from an anglo-saxon origin. All the words that are similar,if not the same as we use, we know they are not "English" nouns, somehow, they are more or less LATIN, for us.

The only word that disturbs me is the common "potato", which, MHO, is as latin as our " batata" ; it �s really difficult for me to explain, but the phonetic evolution we had, from latin to portuguese, shows me that that "P " and " B" , many times were misspelled or missconfused, or wrongly used. We have lots of examples where P was updated to B . We have many words, differently used, because some arrived to us by common people speaking and the "same" words were brought by old Latin, and also, by old Spanish and old French. We have both words, used in different situations.
This is quite an interesting topic, but I am not an expert, anyway, I thank you for leaving me this note.

Linda

12 Apr 2012     

douglas
United States

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_of_the_word_ �potato �
The Spanish took native American words and formed the word potato-- potatoes come from America.

13 Apr 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

so , you have to agree, there is not a rule there...

13 Apr 2012