Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi    

Hi

Urpi
Peru

Hi

Hello all:
I have a silly question how many ways are there to answer politely to a question with "DO YOU MIND.........?

Thanks a bunch.

12 Apr 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Urpi, here �s a few suggestions. Not at all..... Of course not...  No problem..... I �d be delighted.... I �m pleased to help...

And if you do mind? 

Well, actually, I �d rather not... Do you mind if I don �t? Could you ask someone else as I have to feed the cat/wash my hair (or some such excuse...)

12 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Just wanted to put my fifty pence: if used by itself, the phrase has a different meaning 

do you mind?

(ironicused to show that you are annoyed about something that somebody has just said or doneDo you mind? I was here before you.
Sophia

12 Apr 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh Thanks again dear friends

12 Apr 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Urpi,

�How many ways are there to answer politely to a question with "DO YOU MIND � � �?�

It depends on what the question asks, precisely, but here is a selection.

POSITIVE
�I don�t mind at all!�; �Not at all!�; �Not in the least little bit!�; �It�s my pleasure!�; �No! It would be a pleasure!� �No! It would be my pleasure!�; �Yes!; Of course!�; �I�d love to!�; �With pleasure!�; �No! Of course not!�; �Please, feel free!�; �On the contrary!�; �Quite the opposite!�; �It�s no trouble at all!�; �Please, don�t concern yourself about it!�; �Please, let me help you!�; �No! I�m absolutely delighted!�; �It would be an honour!�; �No sooner said, than done!�; �Your wish is my command!�; �Of course! Think nothing of it!�; �Thank you! You�re too kind!�; �You�re extremely kind!�; �Your kindness is exceeded only by your beauty!� (Joke)

NEGATIVE
�I�m afraid not!�; �Do you mind if I refuse, please?�; �I�m afraid that I�ll have to refuse!�; �No disrespect, but no thank you!�; �I�ll have to refuse on this occasion!�; �Please, accept my apologies!�; �I�m afraid that you�ll have to accept my refusal!�; �I�m sorry if I seem impolite, but I must refuse!�; �My apologies! No!�; �I�m afraid that I�ll have to refuse!�; �I must turn down your very kind offer!�; �Sorry! I must pass up your offer!�; �Sorry! I must decline!�; �Sorry! The answer is: No!�; �Sorry! No!�; �It grieves me to say it, but: No!�; �Unfortunately: No!�; �With regret I must say: No!�; �It is with sadness that I say: No!�

Les

12 Apr 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Thanks Less. That was very complete indeed. Smile

12 Apr 2012