Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > name for a game    

name for a game

jarek2011
Poland

name for a game

hello again !

I wonder what is the English word for a game I played today with my students. They introduced the game in their first language and I have been struggling to find a name for it in English - but it also may happen that the game is not known in the English-speaking countries. Here are the rules:

One person leads a game and other participants do everything the leader says/ does. They mime the leader and follow him everywhere. I suppose that the point of the game is to tease/ annoy the leader a bit  so the game may be irritating in nature :)

13 Apr 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi jarek. I haven �t heard of this as a formal game, although kids do do it. I guess it would be called �Copy cat. � The nearest game to it that I can think of is �Simon Says.. � which we all know (?) and it sounds a bit more fun, to be honest! 

13 Apr 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

A leader? Kids following?

This might be a long shot, but how about �Follow-my-leader �?

13 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

In a drama camp we played "taxi-driver" where the participants (a driver and passengers in a taxi) had to emulate each new passenger �s character, but it �s not the same I guess.
Sophia

13 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

When I was young (a few years back!), it was called Folling the Leader or Follow the Leader.

Bruce

13 Apr 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much for your help! The name�s game is Follow the leader

here is the entry from wikipedia:

Follow the Leader is a children�s game. First a leader or "head of the line" is chosen, then the children all line up behind the leader. The leader then moves around and all the children have to mimic the leader�s actions. Any players who fail to do what the leader does are out of the game. The last person standing other than the leader is now the new leader.

13 Apr 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

And from Longman:

13 Apr 2012     

fernucha
Argentina

In Argentine English classes, we play "Simon Says". "Total Physical Response" activities encourage children to motivation in a fascinating way. They love doing what the "leader" does first. Those who don�t follow the rules or make mistakes loose the game.
Hope it can help you, dear. Hugs from Mendoza, Argentina.

13 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, I remember this game now - I used to play when I was a nipper - it �s �Follow My Leader �.

13 Apr 2012