Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please!    

Help me please!

james33
Morocco

hi,
I think both sentences are correct,but the best one is �I have walked � because the duration of the action is not mentioned in the sentence.We can use present perfect continuous in this situation:
You �ve been walking for 5 hours.That �s why you are tired ( for 5 hours expresses the duration of the action)
But in your sentence, present perfect simple is the best because here present perfect simple is used to explain the past cause of a present state or situation.
THANKS,
James 33

18 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Honestly, I give up, guys.
When it comes to exercises to practice grammar that �s been previously taught or tests (which is probably the case here), there �s no place for "versatile", there �s a grammar point to be applied. I �m teaching intermediate ss and that �s exactly what we had to deal with and btw ss get it quite easily. I didn �t invent this, it �s in the English grammar.
Sophia

18 Apr 2012     

douglas
United States

to UESLteacher-

I guess they should specify whether they want their students to pass a test or if they want their students to sound natural (like a native speaker) when they speak .

19 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@ Douglas: What �s so unnatural about "You �ve been walking too fast that �s why you �re tired"?
Sophia

19 Apr 2012     

douglas
United States

In this case you are okay, but in so many other cases "versatile" makes the whole difference between sounding natural or not. 

19 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks for getting back to me:)
I agree that it takes practice and a lot of mimicking to sound natural in everyday life. Yet, what I can �t agree is poor grammar which can be part of everyday speech of some native speakers as well (don �t take me wrong, I don �t mean educators or people on this site).
Here, as you can see, the poster/user provided the correct answer, so, my guess, the question was either taken from a book or a test which had keys. He was just inclined towards a different option and was probably surprised when he found out the key had a different answer as correct. That �s why I was trying to do my best to provide an easy and comprehensive explanation.
BTW before I became a teacher, I used to be an interpreter for a couple of years which was extremely beneficial for my language practice. I had a chance to mingle with Canadians, Americans, British people and Australians + a lot of non-native English-speaking foreigners. Being around native speakers helps set phrases get in the back of your mind quite naturally:)
Regards,
Sophia

19 Apr 2012     

< Previous   1    2