Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > neologism    

neologism

jarek2011
Poland

neologism

hello !

something has been on my mind since yesterday - a word/ phrase that I can �t recall for the life of me. I know that I knew the English term for it but it slipped my memory. I hope that you will be able to help me :)

What �s the English term for a word that was coined/ made up only for the sake of entertainment. It usually is witty, amusing and doesn �t mean much, yet it conveys certain meaning. Such word hasn �t found its way to the dictionary and probably will never enter it. I will give you an example of a phrase

He opened his mouth to let loose with his ultra-special, 150-mile-per-hour super- scream.

18 Apr 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Nonce word/expression?

Sophia

18 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

I haven �t heard of nonce words before, but now I think Sophia is right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonce_word

18 Apr 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

thank you very much :)

What I actually meant was -  nonsense words - but nonce words are also ok. Thank you very much Minka and ueslteacher !!!

18 Apr 2012