Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a simple question from one of my pupils    

a simple question from one of my pupils

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

a simple question from one of my pupils

Hi colleagues! I was teaching parallel increase with the structure the more+comparative +the more +comparative and I gave an example:
the more you read the more enlightened you become.
a student asked me whether we could say the more you read the more you become enlightened or not and why.
I �m sure that the first sentence is correct but I �m still confused about the second.
can you help me please? 
Thank you so much.

20 Apr 2012      

yanogator
United States

Yes, they �re both correct. Which you use depends on what you want to emphasize. "the more enlightened" emphasizes the condition. "The more you become" emphasizes the process. I would say that "the more enlightened you become" would be more common.

Bruce

20 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

One of my teachers once used a saying to humour us, students (long time ago:): "The more you read the more you know. The more you know the more you forget. The more you forget the less you know. So why read anyway?" 
I think that was a paraphrased quote from Dr Seuss, "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you �ll go"
As to your question, Bruce is right!Smile
Sophia

21 Apr 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

a while ago I saw a qoute along the same lines you might enjoy Sophia..
"The more you study, the more you �ll know.
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Study hard, become evil!" Evil Smile

21 Apr 2012