Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > sister languages    

sister languages

akvillina
Iran

sister languages

Hello every one!
Please help me to find out which one of the Persian or Turkish language is more similar to English?the speakers of which one would be able to learn English sooner and easier?I thought Turkish is more simmilar but our teacher say it is persian.
please help me to fnd out the answer .i am searching the webs but i need your help.thanks
in advance

21 Apr 2012      

kodora
Greece

Have a look at this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-European_languages
Hope it helps
Dora

21 Apr 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Good link, Dora. 

Long story short: English and Persian are Indo-European languages. Turkish isn�t.

EDIT: I was just talking to a Turkish acquaintance who reckons that modern Turkish probably has more loan words from English than modern Iranian has, and it would be quite easy then to think that Turkish is closer to English.

21 Apr 2012     

elif hoca
Turkey

I am turkish and it is completely different from english because we use the actions at the end of the sentences. The formation of sentences are different we just use some english words in our language such as restaurant, toilet as tuvalet in turkish, and cafe etc. I dont have any idea about persian so i cant help to say persian is closer to turkish...

21 Apr 2012