Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do we call..?    

How do we call..?

kodora
Greece

How do we call..?

If you have a baby and you have to work you can take it to a daycare nursery? and as he/she gets older they go to a nursery or kindergarten school.

First of all are these right and how do we call the people who take care of the babies while they are at a daycare nursery?
Thank you in advance.
Dora

22 Apr 2012      

Mietz
Germany

I haven �t heard of "daycare nursery", so I �m not sure about that. The family where I worked in Scotland used "cr�che" for the place, where the younger one went to. That �s British English though, I think.

The people who work at a nursery or kindergarten are called "nursery teacher" or "kindergarten teacher". I also think that nursery is used more often in the UK, kindergarten in the US.

Hope this helps.

22 Apr 2012     

kodora
Greece

Thank you Mietz for taking the time to answer my question.

22 Apr 2012     

douglas
United States

As I see it (US influence):
daycare (without nursery) can cover all young children -- it is basically a place where the child gets babysat.

nursery school - is for for very small children

kindergarten - is the first year of formal schooling (a warm-up for 1st grade)

reschool - is a voluntary school that prepares a child for kindergarten

cheers,
Douglas

23 Apr 2012