Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Mistakes in the text    

Mistakes in the text

sesanna
Estonia

Mistakes in the text

I have translated this text from Russian. Can you please point out the mistakes especially in the use of articles. Thank you in advance!

SUMMARY or RESUME  Which word is better?

Tallinn Pedagogical College. Department of the Social Work. An authority of parents in family: understanding of its significance by parents and their children. Manuscript. 

An authority of parents is an important condition in upbringing children and in forming their moral position.

The purpose of the current paper was to determine an understanding of the role of the authority of modern parents in the upbringing of their child.

From the main points of  theoretical part it is possible to assert that the authority is the basis in upbringing. Modern family differs from the past time family as its emotional and psychological functions has changed.

The methods of the research used in this final paper are questionnaire, interview and literature review. The selection was formed from parents whose children are studying in basic school (grades 3-4) and also from students of basic school whose parents were questioned one year earlier.

The results of the research revealed that from the opinion of respondents the most necessary qualities of the parents to be authority to their child are consistency of demands, kindness, friendliness, and empathy. 

The hypothesis of the research: the authority of the parents is based on the consistency and reasoning of their demands to the child, upbringing the honesty in the child and ability to distinguish good from bad.

Key words: authority, upbringing, personality, morality, family, values, child.

24 Apr 2012      

yanogator
United States

OK, I think this one is going to take teamwork, because there are so many corrections needed, and some of the words are unclear. Here are my suggestions in red, with comments in lavender. There is no indication where I have removed unnecessary articles. I welcome other input. For others who are helping, Russian doesn �t use articles, so they are a difficulty in this.

First, "Summary" is better.

Tallinn Pedagogical College. Department of Social Work. The authority of parents in the family: understanding its significance by parents and their children. Manuscript. 

The authority of parents is an important condition in bringing up children and in forming their moral position (I don �t know what word to use here, but "position" doesn �t work for me).

The purpose of the current paper was to determine an understanding of the role of the authority of modern parents in the upbringing of their children.

From the main points of  theoretical part (I don �t know what you mean by this) it is possible to assert that authority is the basis of child rearing. The modern family differs from the family of the past, as its emotional and psychological functions have changed.

The methods of research used in this final paper are questionnaire, interview and literature review. The selection was taken from parents whose children are studying in basic school (grades 3-4) and also from students in basic school whose parents were questioned one year earlier.

The results of the research revealed that from the opinion of respondents the most necessary qualities of parents to be an authority to their child are consistency of demands, kindness, friendliness, and empathy. 

The hypothesis of the research: The authority of the parents is based on the consistency and reasonableness of their demands to the child, developing honesty in the child and the ability to distinguish good from bad.

Key words: authority, upbringing, personality, morality, family, values, child.

24 Apr 2012     

sesanna
Estonia

Articles are always a problem for me and that �s true that there are no articles in Russian. 

I �m so glad that there are people who are ready to help. 

I really appreciate that =)

Thank you!

24 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

My pleasure, sesanna, since I happend to have the time. This was a rather large request.
Since you �re Estonian (or at least in Estonia), I �ll tell you a sad and funny story. Until last year, the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra had an Estonian music director - Paavo J�rvi, son of the famous conductor Nemi J�rvi. That family is very well known, so everyone who listens to classical music knows the name. I don �t know why he agreed to this, but the directors of the orchestra talked him into changing the pronunciation of his name to Jarvi, because the people of Cincinnati are too stupid to pronounce it correctly. They even convinced WGUC, our local classical music radio station, to change the way they pronounced the name (for both Paavo and Nemi, both of whose recordings are played regularly by the station). I was very offended by their demand, and have always thought that he should have refused to participate in it.

Bruce

24 Apr 2012     

sesanna
Estonia

�I am Russian but have been living all my live in Estonia. This story is actually sad and funny =))) There are some sounds in Estonian that are quite difficult to pronounce but I didn �t imagine that someone can be asked to change the way he actually pronounce his name. �

24 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about "moral values" instead of "position"?

@Bruce: any research paper (at least in the former USSR) would have a theoretical part and a practical one, in which the theories are being applied/tested and the assumptions are being verified.

Sophia

24 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, Sophia. Now that I know that, I see that it should be "the theoretical part".

Bruce

24 Apr 2012