Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > I need help :(    

I need help :(

abba
Spain

Dear Yolanda I have the same type of group, it �s the third year I have this kind of students and I also teach them English and Spanish and I really know how it feels getting into there and looking at the faces of some people who don �t really care about their learning process. Then, luckily, I �ve got my 1st Bachi that are really good and I enjoy a lot preparing things for them and teaching them. By the way, dear  ironik,  olindalima �s strategy is quite effective, the break is great for punishing them and I do the same, they just copy while they are having their breakfast and after a week their behave changes. As fas as your physical appearance is concerned, you can �t do anything because I have always had the same "problem", even now that I am 36 I look a lot younger. I think the key is the way you react to the what they do, that is, with this type of groups I never laugh at their jokes and I am very, very serious the whole time, and I try not to lose my temper, at least it works for me. Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Bel�n

29 Apr 2012     

nesrininci
United Arab Emirates

dear friends,

I �ve read all your comments and suggestions and as I same similar problems I don �t know how to feel- happy for not being alone? or sad for this much devotion and hardwork that is not respected by the children?...

Two months ago I also posted a similar problem I had and I must say that, I �m still trying hard! Being a teacher is so weird sometimes-- the more you say "I �m done and will not try anymore" the more you feel as if you have to try again and again and never give up! In todays world being a teacher is not appreciated enough unfortunately- both by the students and parents. this is so sad as our job is more than just teaching grammar, vocabulary..etc. They don �t understand that WE are also human and we need motivation, love and respect as they need it from us. This is my first year in a highschool and I must say that it was a very tiring, demotivating and frustrating year.. But I also have many students who make it up for me and make me feel precious as a teacher. I think those students who motivate me give me the strength to try and never give up!

I �m only 24 years old and even I started using "when I was a student..." expression... How did everything change this much? When did our job started losing its reputition?... I just wonder!..

My dear colleagues, I wish you all (and me) a week full of joy and motivation! WE deserve all the best and don �t forget that YOU are precious...

Loves and warm huges from Turkey to all HeartClap

29 Apr 2012     

tedito_85
Bulgaria

Dear Ironik,
Hi from me again! I think you deserve a lot of respect, because of all your efforts (from finding interesting activities to trying to change your appearence in order to look older). It must be a really tough task, always thinking about how to be respected by students. On the other side, don �t you think you �ve been a little obssessed with all this? And are there really good results?Do you enjoy it? I doubt so. It seems to me you �re a nice and responsible person and teacher. So, why don �t you try NOT TO look like a 50-year-old teacher who scares everyone and BE ONE OF THEM, listen to them What do they want to do? What are their interests? I promise you, your �young look � could be a great advantage for you. Why do you want to look older?Why all of us (teachers) talk about �we � and �they;, when are we going to be �us �??? Please, do me a favor, try at least one lesson, where you, they-all of you are having fun. And then tell me who enjoyed it more-you or they?
With all my respect
T.

29 Apr 2012     

ironik
Australia

Thanks a lot to everyone, you really made my day. Seeing that you are not alone means a lot, even if it doesn �t solve the problems everytime Wink
Tedito, you touched on a very different point of view. Actually, last year I didn �t try this hard to make myself older and distance myself from my students, but I had 1st graders and they were the cutest. I had a really good year with them :) However, this year I have junior high students, who seem to be really obsessed with my age since the beginning of the year. They keep asking about my age and their parents always mention about me being unexperienced. That �s how they made me obsessed as well. I was such a stress-free, peaceful student at university... I really missed those days Smile But I will start to see this to my  advantage, thanks to you. And as Nesrin said, as teachers it �s in our nature, we never never give up.

29 Apr 2012     

< Previous   1    2