Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Plastering and painting    

Plastering and painting

sesanna
Estonia

Plastering and painting

Hi everyone,

I was asked to translate some sentences. They are connected with the repair works and I am not sure about the terminology. If you see any mistakes please point them out.

Have a good Sunday!

Plastering and painting

We offer all kinds of plastering and painting works of different difficulty: plastering of the walls,plastering of the walls on the beacons, pytting of the walls and ceilings, painting with all kinds of pain, glueing of all kinds of wallpapers.

29 Apr 2012      

yanogator
United States

For an ad, we usually use the word "services". I have no idea what you mean by "beacons" here, so I can �t help with that one. I assume you mean "puttying" instead of "pytting". Here �s my version:

We offer all kinds of plastering and painting services, of all degrees of difficulty: plastering walls, plastering walls on the ________, puttying walls and ceilings, painting with all kinds of paint, applying all kinds of wallpaper.

Bruce

29 Apr 2012     

sesanna
Estonia

Thank you Bruce once again for your help. I was not sure about the use of the word beacons also but I found it here 

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bavun.ru%2Fclassifieds%2Fa244806.html&langpair=ru%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

In Russian it was штукатурка стен по маякам. But even in Russian I don �t know what it means so it is hard to translate. 

29 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You know what, now that I �ve given it some thought, I think, I was mistaken the first time. Actually, now that I �ve consulted my husband, I �m almost sure that what the Russians here called маяк is some sort of a level which they place on the wall to make the plaster coating nice and even. I �m still looking for a word in English
Sorry to have made you confused.
Could be batten -a long strip of wood that is used to keep other building materials in place on a wall or roof... or plaster grounds(building construction) A piece of wood used as a gauge to control the thickness of a plaster coat placed on a wall; usually put around windows and doors and at the floor

Native speakers, any suggestions, please.

штукатурка стен по маякам
Sophia

29 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Spirit level?

29 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Nope, definitely not spirit level. Have you seen the pics, Lynne? Those long things on the wall are those we need the word for.
Sophia

29 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oops, sorry! 

29 Apr 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Sesanna and Members,

In the UK, when a Plasterer plasters a brick wall, he first nails long pieces of wood, (called �screeds�), vertically up the wall.  (In the past, they used to use �screeds� of vertical lines of plaster). The wood pieces are about half-an-inch, (13 mm), thick, and are about one-and-a-half yards, (metres) apart.  He wets the wall.  He then plasters in between two of the screeds.  This is the �render � coat of plaster.

He makes the render plaster the same thickness throughout  by pressing a straight board, (a �screed board �), with two handles on it, up the wall from bottom to top.  The plaster is thus a uniform thickness up the wall.

He repeats around the room.

Finally, he removes the screeds and plasters the long, narrow strips left by the wood.

The �render � coat is scratched with a wire brush to give the next coat, the  �finish coat �,  a �key �

This rendered wall is now covered with a uniform thickness of �finish � plaster.  He does this by spreading a VERY thin layer of wet, creamy finish plaster on top of the render, using a steel�float� trowel.  When it is almost dry, he polishes this finish smooth, using water as a lubricant.

Les

29 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

So, "screeds" it is.
screed -  A strip of wood, plaster, or metal placed on a wall or pavement as a guide for the even application of plaster or concrete. 
Thanks, dear Les. How about that passage? what then should be the wording?
Sophia 

29 Apr 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Sesanna,

�We offer every kind of plastering and painting service, of all degrees of difficulty --- plastering walls; rendering walls using metal screeds; making good damaged walls and ceilings; painting and decorating with a wide  variety of materials; and applying every type of wallpaper�.

Les

29 Apr 2012     

sesanna
Estonia

Thank you all for your help =)  I couldn �t manage without you.

30 Apr 2012