Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Comments    

Comments

Zora
Canada

Comments

I was just reading the threads about people not leaving comments. This is an old complaint that actually has little solution since, either we do like Alien Boy suggested and have a box we can tick, or accept that people downloading our work should be praise enough for the work, we do here.

I know it is nice to receive comments, but quite truthfully complaining -and speculating on people�s levels of politeness - here on the board is like shouting to the four winds... quite simply because, the people who don�t leave comments most likely do NOT read the message board either.

I think that people need to realise that - we are over 100,000 members and that only a handful of us, maybe 100, even participate in forum discussions and another, maybe 200 or so always try to leave comments on worksheets... that�s a pretty small percentage...

Also, I really believe that people should just treasure the nice comments that others here DO leave and be happy with that. Also asking others (demanding??) to leave a nice message or comment on their work is being a tiny bit selfish on our parts.

AND yes, I do know that we work hard, and that the worksheets take a lot of time but honestly... when people see a comment box, they usually ignore it because a "comment" can be "good" or ... "bad"... and when anyone here gets a "bad" comment, the whole board/forum hears about it because they don�t like it.

Let�s just say, sometimes... "No news, is good news..."

Cheers,

Linda

7 Jan 2009      

libertybelle
United States

I guess we just have to agree on that we don�t all agree.

L

7 Jan 2009     

domnitza
Romania

My turn now to give an opinion.
       First of all, I want to tell you a little story I heard many years ago (I was in college at the time): a couple of boys made a little experiment one day: they sat near the subway (it happened in Bucharest)--- where poor people usually stay, asking for a little money--- having a little note on them: PLEASE HELP US WITH JUST A HELLO! They did not want to make fun of people, they wanted to see how many would give the most simple thing on the world:a hello! (It may sound stupid, but think again: to say HELLO means to show that you do see the others living next to you, to accept them, to be aware of their existence) And to their surprise, only a few people had the generosity of saying HELLO. Some were even aggressive. But most of them watched and remained silent.
     Yes, it is nice to receive comments. But we should not measure the quality of our work by the number of comments we get. And, trust me, this site has the most friendly and generous people I have ever met (virtually speaking Smile). There is a Romanian site (www.didactic.ro) where lots of teachers all over my country upload their materials, so it is much bigger than eslprintables. I usually send there my French printables. And I have had around 10 comments so far. Yes, you read well. It is frustrating to see that people download your work without even saying a simple <thank you>. But it is not the end of MY world.

When you make a worksheet what do you have in mind? The possible comments that others will write to you? Their reaction? Their thank you  notes? Somebody said (sorry, I don�t remember the name) that when people download his work is like saying thank you to him. Partly I agree, because we have the preview which allows us to decide if we want to download a certain ws or not.

Dear friends, some comments won�t make us better teachers. They are good, but not vital. And, to be honest, I would rather read 5 sincere comments that 50 empty ones.

Domnitza

7 Jan 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Maybe if writing �Thank You� also got you a point, there would be more �Thank You�s!!! LOL

It is true that I don�t understand why some members do not leave any comments (and it very often infuriates me!! Sometimes I think it would be interesting to have a list of all the members that have downloaded my worksheets, just to know!!) but I tend to agree with Domnitza and Logos: it is nice to receive comments but it is not the end of the world if I don�t get any.

I also want to say that some members have contacted me personally to thank me about my work. I found their gesture so personal, so friendly!!

This is not the first time that we have been discussing this and so far we have never (or hardly) had any answers / explanations from these members who never leave comments. I am sure that the official reason would be �I don�t have enough time to leave a comment�.

It is an endless story and there will be other posts about this topic. C�est la vie!!!

Frenchfrog

7 Jan 2009