Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > BASIC CURRENT NEWS FOR ESL KIDS?    

BASIC CURRENT NEWS FOR ESL KIDS?

zenlee
Korea, South

BASIC CURRENT NEWS FOR ESL KIDS?

Hi...does ANYBODY know of a GOOD BASIC ENGLISH ELEMENTARY LEVEL SITE that brings current events and world NEWS to kids?

I have searched the internet and I �ve found many sites but NONE that offer a really simple level of English and a simple summary of current news events. 

My kids need to prepare for a QUIZ CONTEST on CURRENT EVENTS. They are grades 3, 4, 5, 6, and they are ESL students, not native speakers.

Here are some kids news sites that I found... but NONE of them satisfy.

Many thanks in advance.
PENGUIN 

2 May 2012      

lori9954551
Philippines

Hi. Try this Web site: http://www.newsenglishlessons.com.

Good luck!

Lori (",)

2 May 2012     

ohermann
Czech Republic

You can also try this excellent one - even with the audio/video (in 3 levels):

Thumbs Up

2 May 2012     

orly100
Israel

Hi,
Great link.
Thank you.

3 May 2012     

zenlee
Korea, South

Hi - me again...
thanks for those two links, but both of them are too advanced for my learners. I �m looking for something more elementary.....but thanks for the offers. Any other ideas out there?

3 May 2012     

nurikzhan
Kazakhstan

What do you think about www.highlightskids.com ?

3 May 2012     

carme sammut
Malta

Thanks a lot for sharing.  It �s a very creative and useful sight.  Well done and thanks for sharing!!!

3 May 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

ohermann, that link is great.

3 May 2012     

zenlee
Korea, South

Thank you for the Highlights site (see above). 

That is the correct level for my students...those articles and stories are perhaps grade 6 (esl) level...so that is great! 

Only thing is.... it is not "newsy enough." 

I need something like ...

"Hilary Clinton went to China this week to talk about the economy. She also had to deal with another problem. A famous Chinese lawyer named Chen Guangcheng needed help from the Americans. He went to the American Embassy. But the Chinese wanted Chen to come back to China. He decided to leave the Embassy. But now he wants to go to America. The problem has not been solved yet."

HELP!!! Cry

3 May 2012